Chapter 5

I can't make ends meet with this whole trip. I don't understand why Joe seemed so angry to see me. I didn't stop calling. I didn't forget his address and not send a letter. I didn't just..disappear. Forget it, I'm not here for him. I'm here for my best friends wedding and then I'll be on my way.
"Hey, wanna join us and some others for drinks?" Luke says, popping his head through the door.
"Yeah, why not? Ask Liz to bring me something to wear."
Now I regret not packing anything. This feels like a set up. I could just wear the jeans in my bag but that would annoy her to death.
"He is incredibly cute so I'm going to make you gorgeous. Don't I look good?" Lizzy says, letting herself in. Who is he? She looks great although I don't want my dress revealing my pudgy boobs. She starts messing with my hair, organizing it into a billion different sections. I'm going to look ridiculous, or not, Lizzy is good at this stuff.
"So, you seen Joe? How'd you feel?"
Luke has a big mouth, doesn't he?
"I didn't feel anything."
I think that's completely true. I didn't lust over him and I also wasn't too angry about his disappearing. I've grown up about it.
"Wow. Maybe you never really loved him."
I smack her hands out of my hair and turn around so she can see me.
"I love him. Loved. Whatever, don't say that because my feelings weren't pretend."
I turn back around to let her finish my hair. I don't want to feel like me and Joe were a waste of time. Even if we aren't together now.