Chapter 19

Zach is dragging me all through town to prepare myself for meeting his parents. Im nervous but a little too hung over to care. I dont know how he isn't. I stare at the ring on my finger, the shine brighter than the sun. Zach is ordering catering services.
This ring had to cost a ton.
"Babe, I know you like the ring but I need you to go out and buy a red dress. Okay? Somthing that'll hide your curves. My mom is modest. Okay?"
"Yes love." I groan. Modest? His mom is modest? Isn't this about us? I decide against fighting him. He gives me a quick peck, heading out the door. Working early, dining late.
I guess I'll have to figure out my work life soon enough. I cant stay here and work at home. Will Zach be willing to leave? God, marriage and making life decisions is hard.
I need my best friends advice.

~

I sip my lemonade, watching Lizzy at book club. She's changed, in highschool, the teachers begged her to do summer reading. If Mr. Powell could see her now.
"Okay ladies, thats all for today. We all should be up to chapter twenty-six by Saturday. See you then!" Lizzy says, standing. They hug and kiss her goodbye. She's like the queen of books or something.
"Alright fiancé, where are we going."
I chuckle lightly, "Dress shopping. Liz?"
"Yes darling?"
"You think I can do this?"
"Of course, anyone can. Are you ready, is the real question."
I sigh. Am I? Did I say yes because of all the eyes? The loneliness? Payback?

The dress shop is huge. Im overwhelmed with beautiful women and fancy attire. I could puke. I don't try on any dresses. This is too much. Lizzy blends right in, talking to everyone about everything. I envy her ability to adjust and get on. I want to do that, be flamboyant. Instead, Im stuck. Why? Why me?
"Liz, I gotta go."
"Bu-"
"Catch you later!"
I rush out before she can stop. I need to think.