Chapter 6

This place is great. The lighting is perfect for the dark furniture and theme. I slide into the booth with Luke, Lizzy, and some other people. We order drinks, wine, to be exact. I still haven't gotten used to buying alcohol now that I'm of age.
"So Tyler, this is Danielle." Lizzy says. I throw the sandy-haired guy a smile. He smiles back showing perfect teeth. I guess this is the "he," Lizzy spoke of. His glasses hide light brown eyes but he's fairly cute; in a Spiderman way. I don't engage in conversation because I don't really know these people, instead, I sip my dark red wine and make my self invisible.
Minutes later, Joe walks in, his appearance is ruffled as if he'd been fighting.
"Hey, bro. Welcome to the gathering." Luke says, annoyance apparently in his voice. I look to the other side of the booth and there's no room for him. Shit, I have to scoot over.
"Dont give me shit." Joe mutters, nearly sitting in my lap before I can move. He smells like beer. I try to make enough room so I'm not touching him but Tyler winks at me and I'm guessing I gave him the wrong signal. Ugh. I eye Lizzy and she gives me a "we'll talk later," look.
Joe sighs a million times like I'm taking too much of his air. Sheesh, is he that annoyed with my presence.
"How does it feel to be back?" Joe asks, shredding a red napkin. I watch the napkin become strips instead of the whole piece it once was. Like us.
"Its cool. I'll be leaving in no time." I say.
"You going to do that thing you did?"
"What thing?"
"Promise to stay in touch and then change your damn number. You're a real Bitch."
Tears threaten to spill over but I hold them in. I can feel eyes on me all around the table but I won't let them see me cry. I refuse.
"I believe that was you. Excuse me, Lizzy I'll catch a cab to your house."
I shove him out the booth and the amount of booze in his blood made it easy. Luke hands me the house key, an empathetic look on his face. I give him a smile but it's the fakest one I've ever had to plaster on.
I don't know why I agreed to come back to this stupid place.
I hop in the nearest taxi, repeating my destination three times before he understands.
That's it. I can't stay here. I never truly belonged here. I can't stay.