Chapter 13

I learn a lot from these New York hicks. Bubba's name for them, not mine. It's late by the time we're done eating and playing games. I feel exhausted and pretty drunk.
"Luke, think you could drive me home and drop my car off tomorrow?" I ask, holding my balance.
"Come on, D! I'm drunk. Just-stay or ask Joe. You love him." Luke laughs. Joe looks at me and I look at the ground.
"He's lying." I hiccup. Joe chuckles a little, shaking his head. Guess I'm left calling Zach.
"Danielle, where are you?"
He answered on the second ring.
"Well you neglected me today so I met up with my best friend. Could you come get me? I had some beers."
"I'm on the way.."
I can hear him sigh before he ends the call. I might be in a little trouble.
The warm New York air and beautiful stars make me dizzy. I stare at the sky until I feel like I'm floating.
Up. Up. Up.
"You okay?" Joe asks, pulling out a cigarette.
"When did you start smoking cancer?"
"When did your ass get fatter?"
I giggle, looking at my feet. I can't believe he still affects me.
"You took out the ring.."
"Yeah, I have a man bun now too."
"No way!"
He tied his hair up in a perfect bun. I stare at him and everything we used to be.
"Fab, right," He imitates a drag queen and I'm dying.
"I've missed you."
"Have you?"
"We-I.."
"Gave up. We gave up on each other."
"Why?"
"They wanted us to."
I sigh and the air doesn't feel thick around us. I'm not afraid to look at him or breathe the same air.
"You're still beautiful."
"You're still..you."
I can feel him smirking at me but I pretend I'm not even looking.
"Have you met your brother?"
"Should I?"
"Maybe. I heard David was falling off."
"Good news. Can we talk about something else?"
"Why are you in New York?"
"Where's Lana?"
It flies out my mouth and I bite my tongue on purpose. I remember that night in the bathroom and I'm shaking my head so hard it could fall off.
"She left me, said I'm still in love with someone else. Someone she can't be."
I nod. The cancer stick burns out without him ever puffing it.
"I'm so-"
Zach pulls up, almost killing himself with how fast he's driving.
"Night, Joe. It was great seeing you."
"You too, sweet tea."
I laugh, Bubba has taken to calling me sweet tea.
When I get in the car, I can feel heat burning off Zach.
"How was work, baby?"
"Who is he? You doing him too? Huh?"
I look at him, stunned as ever.
"We're old friends, are you crazy?"
As we get back on the main road, I wish I was back there. Anywhere but here.
"I'm talking to you! Answer me."
I've never seen this side of him and I'm sort of scared.
"Could you calm down?"
He starts muttering things under his breath. I was having a great night, now everything is going left. I was even getting alone with Joe. I want to be back on the porch with him.
I haven't learned a thing.

I kick my shoes off at the door, and head towards the bedroom.
"We aren't done talking." Zach's voice follows me. I shake my head. I'm not interested in arguing at eleven o'clock at night.
"I was done in the car, sweetie." I mutter.
"What?! Look at me!"
He has me by my shoulders, shaking the living shit out of me. Don't throw up.
"Zach, let me go!"
"Oh I'll let you go, you cheating slut."
His hand comes across my face, swiftly. Tears fill my eyes and I can finally push him off. I grab my suitcase and snatch up some items I unpacked. I can't stay here. He's turned into something I've never seen.
Maybe Liz was right, this can get dangerous.