Chapter 8

Mark got here faster than I thought he would. Job perks. I sit at the coffee shop that me and Joe once ate at. I shouldn't have told Mark to come or even meet me here but I couldn't bother Luke and Lizzy. My palms feel sweaty as I make contact with Mark.
"You don't look good." He says, taking my butter muffin. How non-Mark of him.
"Um thanks. How's work?"
"Hm..boring without you ole pal. Could've warned me."
I sigh, running my hands through my hair. I'm supposed to get this done today. The wedding is tomorrow and I'm unprepared.
"Can you go to my best friends wedding?" I ask, looking at the table.
"I could, but with who and why?"
I sigh for maybe the hundredth time today. Mark was just madly in love with me, I'm exaggerating, madly crushing; so why isnt he just jumping on the opportunity.
"I mean with me. I need a date."
The butter muffin goes uneaten on the table.
"You called me here, for that, but can't give me the time of day at work?"
Ding. Ding. Ding. Thats why he's acting different. I guess I'm just losing in every game today.
"You're right.." I say, standing up. His hand grabs mine, warm and welcoming; "But I'll go with you."
I smile at him and he smiles back. Maybe things will lift up from here.
My phone vibrates in my pocket and Lizzy's number pops up.
"Danielle, I can't do this."
And everything falls again.

Lizzy cries about how she doesn't think she's ready and all I can do is watch, stuck in my own thoughts. I wish I had her problems. I'm missing a man that doesn't miss me and flirting with one I can't really see myself with.
"Danielle! Are you even listening?" She cries. I roll my eyes, it's been over an hour and I would really like some sleep.
"Liz, listen, he loves you for Christ sake. He wants to marry you, needs to marry you. If you're gonna act like this..well I don't know if you're the one making a mistake."
My words come out harsh but I can't help it.
"Really?" She sniffles.
"Seriously. At least he loves you and there's a future."
I stand up and leave her in the bathroom. Way to go, break your best friends heart too.