♚41. WE

❝All human actions have one or more of these seven causes: chance, nature, compulsion, habit, reason, passion, and desire

All human actions have one or more of these seven causes: chance, nature, compulsion, habit, reason, passion, and desire.-ARISTOTLE

J o r d y n T a m e

   MY SOFT FOOTSTEPS were able to be heard as the night became darker and still. Though my body was stiff as I traveled my breathing was heavy.

I must have not entered the west since none of the symptoms of the air born disease seemed apparent on me yet. I sighed, thankful, but frustrated because I knew my distance from the kids and Samia was still quite far.

  Sudden noises are heard to the left of me and I turn my heard to the side and stop my strides. I gripped the strap of my bag and reached for the knife in my pocket firmly.

   I stood there for a good two minutes before continuing my journey.

  I began to wonder if council woman Tarah and danger knew of my absence. The guilt stung my mind like acid water on skin and I overt my mind some place else.

I was doing the right thing.

   Clumsily, I tripped over a rock before catching myself with my hand as I plummeted to the ground. I landed with a hard thud. The night stood quiet making my fall audible.

   Suddenly, a mass of footsteps seemed to be marching in the midst of the island's forest. The adrenaline in my body kicked in and I found myself pumping my legs hard trying to beat out the noise.

   Yet the more I ran, the louder the mass of footsteps seemed to get

   Yet the more I ran, the louder the mass of footsteps seemed to get. With every direction I turned, came more mass of steps.

   No. The union couldn't have found me. They were heading to the east. I should already be at the border of the west side of the island.

   I tried to calm myself but I wanted to know what the mass of footsteps were. Was there someone or something trying to trap me?

  A loud, hard thud could be heard behind me and before I know it my head turned to see a glimpse of a masked individual. I pull out my knife ready to attack my perpetrator.