PROLOUGE

I'd done it again. I didn't mean to this time and I'd been so careful but I couldn't control it. I knew we would probably have to move again. It's what usually happens when I mess up. They'll shout at me and might slap me a couple times before sending me to my room to pack my bags so we could move as quickly as possible before people started talking.

They won't care that it was an accident. Everything I do is wrong and I'm just a mistake in their eyes. A glitch gone wrong. A disgrace to the family. At least that's what I had heard

I didn't even realise I was doing it until it was too late and every object in the classroom was flying in the air. I'd heard some kids talking about my eyes. How they apparently glowed.

I didn't know if it was true but I knew it was my fault and they all knew it was me. I wasn't safe anymore.

When I reach home all of the bags are already by the front door and my parents and talking in hushed whispers in the room next door. I tiptoe into the room with my hair covering my face and wait for the shouting and pain to start but it doesn't.

I look up to see my parents standing in front of me with blank expressions on both of their faces and their eyes held no emotion in them as they tell me to get in the car.

I do as they say and grab my bag before stepping into the car and wait for them. I don't notice that they have left their bags in the house as we drive away from another home and another life which I will never get to see again. 

We drive for hours before the car comes to a complete stop and daddy tells me to get out. I get my bag and look around curiously at my surroundings, wondering where our new house is when I am surrounded by trees that tower above me.

I look back to ask them where we are only to hear the car door slam shut and the car speed away from me. I wonder what's happening for a moment before reality crashes down on me.

They left me.

Hot tears glide down my cheeks as I crumble to the floor at the harsh realisation that I've been abandoned in the middle of nowhere. I cry for what felt like hours before my sobs become hiccups and I'm able to stand and take in my surroundings.

Trees.

That's all I can see for miles and it seems impossible to find my way out. I didn't pay attention to my surroundings on the drive to this place so I was completely disoriented and had no hopes of getting out of the maze like cluster of trees.

I start shouting for help in hopes of someone hearing me but realise it's pointless and end up falling asleep covered in leaves on the ground.

I wake up a couple of hours later to hear the sounds of footsteps coming towards me. At first I make an attempt to hide but realise there is no point and lay completely still as I wait for the person to find me, my voice too hoarse from shouting for help to say anything.

The footsteps come to a complete stop a couple of feet in front of me and I open my eyes to see a tall man staring down at me. He rushes to my side as I meet his eyes and crouched next to me.

"Hello." I manage to croak out

"What happened to you?" He asks me immediately

I shake my head at his question and start closing my eyes as I grow tired again.

"How old are you sweetie?" He asks me softly and I slowly open my eyes again to look at him.

"Six." I mumble
"Where's your mummy and daddy?" He asks again

"Gone." I say as tears spill from my eyes.

I feel him pick me up and carry me and I slowly let myself get dragged away by sleep again but before I do, I tell him something.

"My names Michaela." I whisper

I feel his eyes staring down at me as he continues walking and before I fall asleep I hear him tell me his own name,

"I'm Clint." He says.