[14]

"Please be right, please be right," Skylar muttered as she peered over her homework at her math textbook, turning the page to see the correct answers. "Dammit!" Forcefully shutting the book and shoving it off her bed, she threw her hands up into the air. "I'm so done with this freaking class!"

Sighing, she rolled her eyes and heaved herself off of her bed and picked up the book, placing it in her book bag. Taking off her glasses – which she only wore when she read – she grabbed some clothes and was heading towards the bathroom to take a shower when she heard a noise against her window.

Immediately thinking of the worst, she grabbed the textbook that she had just flung on the ground and crept up beside the window. Glancing down, she dropped the book and grabbed her chest. Opening the window, she looked around before staring down at him, "What- Why are you here?"

Paul smirked up at her and motioned for her to back up. Complying confusedly, she shuffled backwards. She heard a loud commotion before Paul hurled himself through the window and into her small bedroom. "Sky. Hi."

He chuckled and came up to her, grabbing her hands. His glance was diverted to the book on floor. "Where you going to attack me with your math book?"

She scoffed. "The thing weighs more than me. I could've done some serious injuries with that." Smiling down at her, he nodded. "Sure."

Backing up, Skylar sat on her bed and slanted her head to the side. Laughing at Paul rolling his eyes, she patted the bed. His gaze went over to the glasses resting on the end table. Smirking, he asked, "You wear glasses." Shaking his head, he looked back over at her. "Nerd alert."

She clenched her jaw and tried to stop the blush forming on her cheeks. Hiding a smirk of her own, she said, "Only when I read. I can see fine the rest of the time."

Paul laughed. "Oh, really? Because I think if you could see fine, you wouldn't need glasses."

Skylar punched him in the arm. "I said only when I read, you jerk."

Holding his hands up in mock defeat, he stared down at the blushing girl. When his gaze didn't let up, Skylar raised her eyebrows. "What?"

As if coming out of a daze, Paul shook his head. "What?"

"You were staring at me," Skylar joked. "I mean, I know I'm pretty and shit, but-"

"You're beautiful," Paul muttered, interrupting her. Skylar felt her heart beat pick up in her chest, staring back at him. "Uhm..."

They both shot up when they heard knocking on the door. "Sky?" Charlie's voice rang out. "I'm going hunting with Harry. Will you be okay here by yourself?"

"Shit," Skylar whispered, pushing the boy on the other side of the bed. "Hide there – no don't stand up, hide under the bed."

"I can't fit," Paul exclaimed, trying not to let a smile break out at look on his imprints face.

Skylar shoved him down. "Then make yourself fit." Swiftly walking over to the door, she cracked it open and smiled at Charlie. "Yeah, I'll see you later."

"Okay," Charlie said, looking around her room. "Are you okay? It took you a while to answer."

Swallowing, Skylar bit her lip before answering. "Yeah, I was just working on Trigonometry homework."

Charlie's eyebrows shot up. "Skylar? Skylar Swan, doing math homework?"

Smiling, Skylar nodded and laughed along with her dad. "Yeah. Surprising, huh?"

"Very," he chortled. "Well, I'm out." Nodding, Skylar watched him walk down the stairs. "Be careful."

"Always am."

She shut the door and rested her forehead on it, sighing. Turning around, she jumped back when she saw Paul's face directly in front of hers. "Shit!" Rubbing her head, she shoved him back. "You made me hit my head on the door, you ass."

Frowning, Paul tilted her head down. He examined it thoroughly before placing a light kiss on the top of the rising bump. "There. All better."

Raising her head back up, she stared at him. "Thanks," she whispered.

"Anytime," he muttered back, eyes dropping to her lips before coming back up to her eyes. A howl pierced through the air, making him sigh and look out the window.

Skylar smiled. "Duty calls."

Staring back at her, he gave her hand one last squeeze before dropping it. "I'll see you soon, yeah?" Without waiting for a reply, he jumped back out the window. Racing over, Skylar watched as he raced towards the woods, sending her one last smirk.

Sighing loudly and trying to calm her heart, she turned back. Frowning, she spotted her math book lying on the floor. "Reality calls for me as well," she muttered, picking the book up off the floor and starting on the problems again.

***

Skylar was almost finished with the set of math problems when her phone rang out, interrupting her train of thought. "This better be good," she mumbled, reaching over to answer it. "Hello?"

"Skylar," Charlie's voice breathed out. "We need – no put him on the bed. Skylar, we need you over here."

Immediately, Skylar jumped up out of bed and reached for her coat. Balancing the phone between her shoulder and ear, she answered, "Dad? Dad, are you okay?"

"I'm fine, Sky. Harry had a heart attack. We need you at the Clearwater's house."

Skylar nodded her head frantically, grabbing a random pair of boots and shoving them on. "Of course. I'll be right over."

"Okay," Charlie muttered, sounding distracted. "Skylar. Be careful."

"I will. See you soon."

Running out the door, Skylar bounded downstairs and ran for her car. Leaping in, she quickly turned it on and back out and sped down the road. Trying to both maintain a safe speed limit and make it to the reservation quickly, Skylar felt like she was in the car for a mere couple of minutes before she reached the Clearwater's home.

Opening the door, she made her way to the front door. Scanning past the crowd of people, she spotted Charlie and walked towards him. "Dad."

He turned around, smiling sadly at his daughter. "Skylar."

"Where is he?" Skylar asked.

"Skylar... He didn't make it," Charlie announced sadly.

She felt her face drop. "Oh, Dad. I'm... I'm so sorry." Wrapping her hands around her father, she embraced the taller man for a minute and let go. "Is there anything I can do?"

"Leah ran off, but Seth is still here. Maybe talk to him?" Charlie suggested.

Nodding, Skylar made her way to the younger boy's bedroom. She opened the door, smiling softly at the crying boy. "Oh, honey." She walked over to him, sitting down beside him and hugged the shaking teenager. "Come here. It's okay."