[16]

Paul's truck pulled up beside Skylar's house. She scanned the area around the house, frowning when she didn't see Charlie's car parked. Knowing that he must still be at the Clearwater's she turned fully around to look at Paul, only to see that he was already staring at her.

Clearing her throat, Skylar spoke up. "Thanks for everything, you know, that you did today. You um, really helped me get through the day."

"Of course," Paul mumbled, tucking a stray piece of hair behind her ear. "Anytime."

Nodding, she ducked her head down. "Are you sure you don't want to tell me, like, what you were trying to say earlier?"

He took a deep breath, chuckling slightly before giving her a smirk. "Yeah. I'll find some time to tell you. I promise," he breathed out.

"Okay," she agreed, smiling back up at him. "I guess I'll wait to find out." Laughing, he nodded his head. "Yeah, I guess you'll have to."

Both became silent – too caught up in looking at each other to say anything. Slowly, Paul began to lean in, brushing her lips with his own before chuckling.

"What?" Skylar breathed out, heart fluttering when her lips moved against his slightly.

"I can hear your heart beating, Sky," he whispered back, a smile stretching across his face. His eyes flickered down to her lips before staring in her eyes again.

She blushed slightly, tilting her head. "Oh."

He barely nodded his head – the slight movement giving Skylar butterflies again – before fully connecting their lips, slanting his head as he did so. Skylar froze in shock for a small moment before fully returning the kiss. Gradually, Paul pulled back only to peck her lips one, two, three times more. Fulling retreating, he cupped her face with his hand and gave her a small squeeze.

Laughing quietly, her face broke out in a wide smile. "Do you, um... Do you want to come in?"

"I'm definitely coming in." He smirked.

Rolling her eyes, she looked back, her eyes widening when she noticed Bella's truck parked behind them. "How long have they been there?"

Paul snickered, motioning towards the old truck. "Oh, I'm sure Jake will have nightmares on how cheesy that was."

"He saw?" She shrieked.

"Sure did, baby." He gave her a wink. His face quickly dropped as he looked over Skylar's shoulder. "Stay in the car."

"What?" Skylar asked, confused. Turning her head, she saw Bella running towards the house only for Jake to grab her arm. "What in the hell is she doing?" She opened the passenger door to get out, yelping when an arm shot out across her and slammed the door shut.

"I'm getting you out of here," Paul said quietly, moving quickly to start up the truck.

Stopping him, Skylar stared at him. "Why? What's wrong?"

"Vampire," he growled out, shaking his arm out of her grip and turning it on.

"Vampire?" She shot around, whipping her head around to see Jake walking back to them, frustrated. "How do you know?"

He clenched his jaw. "I can smell it." Paul growled again when he saw Skylar trying to get out of the truck again. "I'm getting you out of here now, Skylar."

She shook her head furiously. "Bella's in there. I have to make sure she's okay."

"Right now I don't care about Bella. Jake can handle her. I'm getting you out of that bloodsucker's range."