Patru || Salvadore

Oh no.

She sank in her seat, knowing what Alec would think if he saw her--that she would rather attend this very public event alone, than with him.

His assumption wouldn't necessarily be wrong, but Mila wanted to avoid future discomfort between them. They were bound to run into each other again, since they lived in the same apartment building, on the same floor.

It didn't seem like he noticed her yet, and she was grateful when the house lights faded the room to black. Her worry turned to excitement as she fell into the story. The opera Aida is about an Ethiopian Princess captured by Egyptians and forced into slavery. It's a unique love story that ends (like most operas) tragically.

At intermission, the lights came back on and audience members made their way to either the bar or bathroom. Both, if they had time. She went upstairs to find a more secluded section to enjoy the view. If she could avoid Alec while doing it, even better. She found a section with barely any people and gazed at the chandeliers.

Though she thought she was alone, she looked over to see the man in the flashy black suit and golden binoculars standing next to her. He was about an inch shorter than her, but his presence gave the appearance of being a taller man. Mila looked around her, but did not see Alec.

"This is the most beautiful view in the theatre," she heard the man speak in Portuguese. She was excited to hear her second tongue.

"Agreed," she replied back in Portuguese. The man whipped his head around to here where the voice had come from. He'd thought he was alone as well

"You speak Portuguese?" He spoke in English with a heavy Spanish accent.

"Yes," Mila replied in Spanish.

He gave her an approving look. "Do you speak any other languages?"

"Only Francais," she replied in French. "Very impressive," he said nodding. "It's rare to find someone in the U.S. who speaks Portuguese, let alone three other languages. He'd come to the spot to be alone and away from the crowded room, but he didn't mind her.

"Well, my parents are from Brazil, but moved here so my brother and I could be born American citizens. Learning languages was ingrained in me at a young age. You?"

"Same, except I grew up in Spain, and my boyfriend is Brazilian," he winked. He was disappointed his boyfriend Paolo couldn't be with him, but he was no good at formal functions. He was excited to meet with him later at the afterparty.

"Are you enjoying the opera so far?" he asked.

"It's unreal," she replied. He smirked at her genuine response.

"What do you like about this opera particularly?"

"I love the tragedy of it all. But despite it, the most important thing is to focus on the love these two people share right now. They might have fought for it and failed, but it doesn't mean their love is less important. It almost makes it more so." She shared her observations, while staring at the light reflecting off the chandeliers.

How poetic, he thought.

Her honesty and point-of-view were very refreshing. He was used to being around people who wanted something from him. Besides, she was beautiful. Though his tastes lied elsewhere, he enjoyed being in the company of beautiful things.

"Oh! Also, Leontyne Price is my favorite soprano. Her rendition of the aria O Patria Mia made it my favorite of all time."

"You like Leontyne Price?" He asked, his unused hand clutched his heart. He was surprised someone so young would know about the opera legend. "Wonderful! What are your opinions on Madame Butterfly?"

"Honestly? she shrugged. "Overrated."

"Agreed," he chuckled. She laughed. Her laugh was infectious and they both took a moment to gather themselves.

The girl had sold him, he was impressed. "It's so nice to meet a young person passionate about music and storytelling," he said. "Maybe there is hope for your generation after all."

Mila liked him. He was vibrant, fun and interesting.

"Sorry for being so blunt, but do I know you from somewhere?" she finally asked.

"Salvadore Clement," he shook her hand. Mila's jaw almost dropped to the floor. He was a super famous artist. She couldn't believe she was having casual conversation him.

"No way!" she replied. "You're one of my favorite contemporary artists. I saw one of your exhibits in D.C. last year. It's an honor to meet you."

"Why, thank you," he said. "You are?"

"Oh," she gathered myself. "I'm..."

"Mila Black," Alec interrupted standing next to Salvadore. Salvadore's date had arrived to whisk him back off to the box. He noticed how her demeanor stiffened when Alec arrived.

Alec had a smug look on his face. He knew he looked great in his suit. She gave him her best noncommittal smile and nodded to him.

"Alec," she said.

"Alec, you know this angel?" Salvadore turned to him. She blushed.

"Yes, I do," he replied. "She looks lovely, doesn't she?" He said. "In fact, she's actually my guest."

"Then why isn't she sitting in the box with us?" Salvadore asked puzzled. Maybe she was why their box had an extra seat.

"I invited her to bring a guest, but it looks like she's come alone," Alec said flatly.

Mila was busted. The cold look Alec gave her made her skip a breath.

"He got sick last minute," she replied, not wanting Salvadore-Freaking-Clement to think badly of her.

"We don't want you sitting alone," Salvadore said as he held out his arm for her. "Come sit with us." The two of them walked arm-in-arm, leaving Alec on their trail as they made way to the box. Mila decided she was going to ignore Alec and enjoy the rest of the opera. She was done caring about what he thought of her.

The lights began dimming again. Salvadore sat her in the seat next to him forcing Alec to sit behind them. "You must come to the after party Alec is throwing for me. It's at the Esquire Hotel," he whispered.

Mila's insides did somersaults. The Esquire hotel was so expensive she couldn't even afford to stand in the lobby. Despite Mr. Buzzkill sitting behind her, luck seemed to be in her favor tonight.

Alec heard Salvadore invite her to the party and smiled. It was exactly what he wanted.

===============================

Don't forget to vote ;-P

If you like my story, PLEASE ADD IT TO YOUR PUBLIC READING LIST, share it and leave a comment!