Paisprezece || Date

Alec took her hand and guided her down the staircase. Olga, Raul and Tiffany quietly left the room to give them privacy.

"So," she said nervously. "What do you think?"

It took him a moment to find words.

"I think I could look at you fifty more years, and it still wouldn't be long enough."

His love for her felt like a fresh, reopened wound. It wasn't the possessive, angry love causing him to take away her freedom--but the passionate, innocent love, which had opened his heart for the first time. He would need to keep his guard up. He could not afford to make the same mistakes again.

"I have a surprise for you." he said.

Minutes later, they were exiting his town car and making their way to the edge of South Lake Union. There were hundreds of boats docked, floating restlessly on the lively blue waves. Each boat was different, some were yachts, while others were more compact. Many were made of deep mahogany wood, others sparkled in white. Their only uniformity was how luxuriously different each was from the next.

They passed a family, and another young couple. Alec and the man nodded at each other, acknowledging their attractive dates. He held her hand, which felt unusually foreign, but she did not squirm or pull away. Instead she let him guide her, giving no indication of displeasure.

"We're not actually headed to my boat," he said smiling, as they passed two other docks.

"Then where are we going?" she asked.

"You'll see."

Suddenly, the boats disappeared and a fleet of sea planes came into view. He was always puzzled by how they looked smaller up close than in the air.

"Welcome, Mr. Laurent, your private seaplane is ready." A man with grey hair and tan safari clothing said. "Would you like a tour on the way to Victoria?"

"Victoria?" Mila said. "As in Canada?"

The man seemed confused she didn't know where they were going.

"It's a surprise." Alec said to him, wrapping his arm around her shoulders. "My fiancé has never been. And yes, we would love a tour."

"Oh!" he collected himself. It's a beautiful island on the coast of British Columbia. This is the perfect time of year to go."

Alec helped her into the small plane, buckling her in after jumping in himself. The little plane moved fast on the water as it took off and glided into the air. When it did, the view of Seattle grew further and further away, and the mountains and water ahead promised a beautiful trip.

"If you look close enough," the pilot spoke into his microphone, "You can see Orcas."

They both moved to the edge of their seats. At first he didn't see anything.

"Look!" Mila said, with her face pressed against the glass. "I can see them."

He noticed a large, dark shadow moving in the water. Then, together, two of them jumped over the surface and slammed back into the water.

"Amazing," she said.

She continued watching them, as they slowly disappeared with distance. Alec watched her carefully. He hadn't seen her this happy about anything since moving in, and it was nice to see her smile again.