Cinci || Trap

Hours later, Mila and Salvadore were in the sky suite at the Esquire Hotel. Alec left the show early to get everything prepared for the party, so they headed to the hotel by themselves. Mila felt high-profile as she walked arm-in-arm with Salvadore down the steps of the Paramount. On the walk over, he filled her in on his relationship with the Laurent family.

"I've been family friends with the Laurent's for years." He said. "They are low key ballers in the Seattle philanthropist community." She giggled. It made her smile that someone so proper said, "ballers," with a Spanish accent.

"Alec's parents are currently living in Australia and left family obligations to him. I've donated a few pieces to the Seattle Art Gallery and Alec is trying to convince me to do a full show in Seattle."

"Are you thinking about doing it?" she asked excitedly.

He smiled slyly and winked. "Thinking about it."

The party was uppercrust. The guests consisted mostly of people who'd come from the opera, and everyone was in black tie--everyone except for Mila. The suite was so huge it could host all 50 guests in the lounge and patio alone. It was decorated in the similar grandeur of the Paramount, with a modern twist. There was a master bedroom, and a living and dining room.

The dining room was filled with delicacies. Lobster bites, caviar, shrimp cocktail, oysters, creme brûlée and three different chocolate fountains were displayed. Mila instantly went for a plate, while Salvadore, inspired by her enthusiasm, followed. Together, they ate in the dining room while the party continued beyond the large double doors. After inhaling three plates, Salvadore tapped out and made his way to the lounge.

Mila was in no hurry, her party was with the food. She was nervous she didn't know any of the guests, thinking they probably wondered how she was invited. Her attire didn't exactly make her look like 'one of them.' She was making her way to the fromage when Alec showed up with an entourage.

They were a mix of blondes and brunettes, all of them dressed to impress. They looked Mila up and down, whispering to each other about her attire.

"Didn't like my flowers?" he asked. Her mouth was full, so she couldn't respond. "Maybe save some food for my other guests."

Her appetite started to wane as his words sank in, making her feel self conscious. It was one thing for Alec to say it to her, it was another to do it in front of other people just to embarrass her. It was obvious he felt slighted because she rejected him.

She rolled her eyes and walked away into the lounge. She was intent to not let him ruin her time. She needed a good night. The view was incredible. The room had high glass windows so guests could take in the city view from inside.

If Alec could afford a room like this, she thought, it was a mystery why he lived in her apartment building.

Salvadore, who insisted she call him 'Salva' now, introduced her to some of the younger people at the party. He handed her some champagne, which she politely sat back down on the table when no one was looking. She needed to have her wits tonight.

"This is Paolo," my boyfriend, Salva said bringing him forward. Paolo was slightly taller and more lean than Salva. He was considerably handsome and smartly dressed in a plum and black suit.

"Hello," Paolo spoke to her in Portuguese. "Salva has told me many nice things about you. He's hoping for me to have a friend around these boring, stuck up people," he smiled. Mila liked him instantly. Salva took off and they conversed in Portuguese the rest of the party.

She was finally able to relax a bit and enjoy herself. Alec looked like he was having a great time on the other side of the room surrounded with beautiful women in dark formal wear. His fraternity brothers also surrounded him, sipping brandy and looking rich. Not once did he glance at or acknowledge her. It was abundantly clear that he was from another world she didn't belong to.