Treizecisidoi || Victor

Years of planning had finally come to fruition. Mila had gotten access to Han's computer-- and now, it was all his.

The dog barked at him as he locked the storage unit, and he ignored the sounds coming from inside. A problem he would deal with later.

"Mama will be happy to have you back." he said to the eager pup.

The creature was being extra fussy, but he didn't mind. He felt elated and victorious. Though there were still ends to be tied and work done, they were close to riding off into the sunset. He couldn't wait to get rid of the baggage that held him down for so long.

There was a grudge to tend to. Debts to be paid, and freedom restored. For the first time in a long time, it felt like things were going to be alright. He'd shown everybody by doing the impossible.

Most of all, despite their trials and tribulations in the past, it was vindication that he'd been right about Mila. Now, they would get back what they lost, and the life they'd tried to have before everything went to shit.

When he came home Olga had prepared a celebration, a table of cold hors d'oevres, entrees and snacks.

"Raul says you're not picking up your phone," she said. "Call him."

Instead of imbibing in the spirits, she was sitting in the corner peeling an onion next to a plate of polenta.

"Why are you eating peasant food?" he said.

"Habits die hard," she replied. "You're actually giving the dog back?"

"If I don't keep my word, this all falls apart." he said, putting the dog down to let him roam. He was excited. Sniffing everything and searching for Mila.

"What are you doing?" he said, pointing to the food.

"Just this one time, piu." she said. "We are celebrating!"

"I DON'T WANT THIS HERE!" he said loudly. Rage boiled, and before he could process what he was doing, he'd pushed every single plate off the table.

Olga didn't react.

"We really need to find a better outlet for your anger." she said.

"There's still a lot of work to be done." he scaled back, collecting himself.

The matter of Mila's parents was at the forefront of his mind. Whomever took them, or helped them walk away from their lives was his enemy. Perhaps the same people who'd kept him looking over his shoulder. The most puzzling thing was that Mila didn't seem to have any clue what was going on, other than being concerned about not reaching them. Eventually, she'd come up with her own assumptions and he'd have to come clean.

He wondered who would bide their time like this, watching and waiting. Now that he had access to significantly more funds, he could pay for top notch recon.

"Don't you ever take the time to enjoy anything?" Olga said. "You have to appreciate moments like this in your life."

He frowned. He didn't know how much longer she would be with him. From the beginning, her plan was to go home. Now she would be able to do that after being rewarded with a hefty sum. Raul however, had become soft, enjoying the comforts of America.

She walked up to him and held his cheeks. "I've always believed in you." she said. "I'm proud of you. Never forget where you came from, and how far you've come."

================================

A short update, but a necessary one.

Soon, I'll be announcing my first gift card giveaway! Be sure to follow me to enter.

30 votes = next chapter published.

Don't forget to vote ;-P