Chapter 47: Protocol Mr. Sunshine 2.

Caden

I smiled. I couldn't help it. He was quite handsome even as he slept. He looked peaceful. I could only hope his ankle felt better.

I'd woken quite early, unable to go back to sleep, I got off the bed stepped into the washroom. Afterwards, I took a look at his ankle and the swelling was down a bit compared to last night.

Suddenly, I was reminded of what I saw at the party. Gradually, my smile fell and a s tiresome sigh left my lips as I looked away from his face. I didn't want to think about it but I couldn't stop myself from doing so. Is there something more to their relationship? Is he in love with her? Perhaps, is the situation in the sense that they were past lovers?

I thought a bit about my husband's attitude. He didn't seem like the type to be in love or date. It was hard picturing him as the lovey-dovey type. I shook my head to ward off every negative thought before turning back to his face. I met his gaze. In a startle, I was quick to stand straight, at the same time I hurried in retracting my steps due to my only fear of having to explain why I was in the position I was earlier. I must have tripped on something because I lost my balance and anticipated the worst.

In a sparse of a second, I felt his hand grab mine and pulled me forward. My heart raced and blinking felt difficult as my breath hung within my throat. My eyes locked with his. My body was on top of his and I knew our position was awkward and yet, I couldn't pull away, at least not now.

Don't touch me.

I recalled one of his favourite words and I couldn't help wondering why he wouldn't push me away. I'm dumbfounded because of my feelings for him but he doesn't feel the same way for me so he should be able to make the first move and yet, he didn't. Why?

Staring deeper into his eyes, I saw something different, softer and for the strangest reason, I felt our hearts were in sync. Could his be racing as fast as mine? Though I felt it, I couldn't be sure.

Painfully, I looked away first and gradually got off him, finding my foothold. It was only going to get worse if I gave myself false hope.

"Thank you." I appreciated without properly meeting his eyes. The next few seconds went in a strange awkward silence.

"How do you feel? Does it still hurt pretty badly?" I queried while taking a few steps closer to his ankle.

I heard him lightly clear his throat.

"Uh, no."

I nodded in acceptance as I glanced his side with a warm smile. Silence followed once more for a minute and I racked my brain on what to do next. Anything to ease the awkward tension between us.

"Breakfast." I pronounced in excitement as soon as the word popped into my head.

"Clearly, you're in no state to head to the office today. Shower, I'll make and bring your breakfast to you." An assuring smile brightened on my face right at that moment and without waiting for a word from him, I made a turn and hurried my way out of the room.

Right outside, I stopped for a moment and leaned on the wall, placing a hand on the left side of my chest. My heart raced so much that I felt it was going to jump out of my body.

Do I really like him that much?

I couldn't help but sigh. The answer to that question was practically too obvious.

Blayze

As soon as she was out of sight, a sigh left my lips as I placed a hand on the left side of my chest. My heart raced like never before and it only got worst each time she spoke or smiled. I barely had to contend making a fool of myself.

What's wrong with me? Do I like her that much?

I shook my head to ward off all thoughts in her regards but it was harder to do so than I'd presumed. All night, she filled my thoughts right till the moment I fell asleep. I ran a hand through my hair.

Is it right of me to feel this way? Is it safe?

Mentally exhausted, I sighed once more as I shut my eyes.

Caden

Carefully, I picked an egg off the crate and brought it close to the bowl. Just break it. That was all I had to do. Awkwardly, I hit the egg on the edge of the bowl. It didn't break so my second trial was harder and it broke, awfully at that. I got a few shells pouring into the bowl alongside the egg.

I cringed in regrets.

Maybe I shouldn't have said I'll make the breakfast myself. Honestly, the kitchen wasn't my forte. I could barely whip myself something. I'd grown up in so much comfort that I didn't feel the need to learn cooking. I spared the door a glance. The maid that usually cooked was out of sight. Perhaps, I shouldn't have confidently chased her away. Yet, I couldn't call her back. I felt embarrassed doing that. Also, deep down, I had a desire to make something myself that Blayze would like.

"How hard can breaking an egg really be?"

Having said that, I assured myself to give it another trial so I did. It didn't turn out as expected either.

I sniffed. A strong burning smell filled my nostrils.

The toast!

Another sigh left my lips as I realised I'd burnt the bread.

Arrgh!

After a moment of thinking, I encouraged myself not to give up yet. I had to trial once more.

In the end, I picked up the breakfast tray having laid his breakfast in it and I made my way out of the kitchen and up the stairs. Walking into the room, I realised he was nowhere to be seen. Carefully, I set the tray on a nearby table.

"Blayze." I called as I drew closer to the bathroom. There was no respond as I paid close attention while leaning close to the closed door.

"Blayze." I called again and the door opened right away. There he stood, staring down at me. My heart was at it again. He smelt nice and was in a new set of clothing. Suddenly, the air felt hot. Looking away, I momentarily fanned myself using my hand.

"You showered." I stated as I took a few steps back to the where I left the tray.

"Good. Your breakfast is ready." I added deciding to brush off my wild thoughts or feelings. I watched as he quietly limped his way to the bed and sat up. Without saying a word, he looked up to me, I wasn't sure if that was a go ahead sign of some sort. He was practically notorious for skipping his meals. Regardless, I took hold of the tray and made my way to him. I drew closer a chair and took my seat, watching in anticipation for him to eat up. Hopefully he likes it.

For a while, he made no attempt at taking the lid off the bowl. Slowly, disappointment settled in my mind. I probably expected too much, didn't I?

"That's okay. You don't have to eat if you don't want to." I declared and got up to my feet to pick up the tray. Unexpectedly, he picked up the spoon and took off the lid.

Blayze

Cereal.

A light huff of breath left my lips.

"Is that a smile?" Her words made me look up to her. Her charming and yet simple smile played on her face as her eyes twinkled with excitement.

There, my heart raced once more.