Good Girl

I'e been working on October's book for months now, adding to it when I couldn't find inspiration for Arizona's. I'm a little sad to say we're coming to an end with the RMH series, but fret not, our journey's not over just yet. Let me know what y'all think, I'll post again soon. Oh, and this is for you lindsle!

xxKay

October

Of all of the Dixon girls, I was the most sensible, or at least that was what the common belief among the residents here in Red Mire, Texas. I looked fairly similar to my sisters and cousins, like some of the descendants of the Dixon clan, my hair was a shade of blonde that came from my maternal grandmother, almost white in the sun and my eyes were a remarkable shade of blue -- I'd gotten those from my mother's father. The Dixon girls, at least those that hailed from Dane and Rose Dixon, were short in stature and curvy -- a curse and a blessing depending on who was to ask; but, unlike the others, I seemed to possess not a single impulsive bone in my five foot body. Instead, I was said to be pragmatic and thoughtful, a well rounded, mature young lady that was going places, according to the Red Mire Baptist church crones. And in a town such as Red Mire, the BCCs were the end all be all. Especially since my mother was one of them.

I knew what people believed about me, knew that they thought I was responsible, a word that left an awful taste in my mouth. Sure, I was the polite more reserved Dixon, the one who liked to stay out of trouble, but that was only because I had no real choice. My sisters, August and December were loud and loving, impulsive at the best of times and they were outgoing. They were bright souls that tended to speak their minds and break the rules.

August was the oldest, the smartest and the prettiest. She lived on the edge of town with her doting husband of nearly ten years with their three year old daughter, Sunday. She and Colt had been married since they were young, only seventeen and eighteen years old, a marriage that had shocked the entire town. Eloping didn't just happen in Red Mire, especially not when a Daniels was involved. They pair of them had defied not only Colt's mother's wishes but also the expectations of the length of their marriage.

December was the second oldest, and the more wild spirit of the six children, one who used to do as she pleased before she went to live in the big city for college. Tales were told about Dece, of the pranks she pulled, the mischief she caused -- but, now that she had returned she was a mouse in the Dixon household, flinching at the drop of a hat. Everyone had their suspicions as to what had happened, but no one knew. It was an unwritten rule to just leave December be until she decided to rejoin us all on her own. No one was going against it.

Then there were my cousins, Arizona, Texas and Tennessee. Arizona was twenty-eight, and had a wall up that separated her from others. She had a permanent chip on her shoulder along with a 'don't give a damn' attitude. As the oldest of Lily Dixon's children, she'd been exposed to most of the hard and cruel moments of their bastard step-father. For a while, we'd suspected she'd simply live the rest of her life out in a bar, that is until she found something she'd never known she needed while searching out their biological father and the love of their mother's life.

And lastly were the twins, Texas and Tennessee, who were as different as day and night. Texas was shy and polite, but wasn't afraid to break a few rules when it came to a little fun; she ran with the boys instead of a heard of girls, like Tennessee, or Essee as many called her. She was girly and loud, and more often than not she was mean. There was only one person in the world that Essee was kind to and that was Texas. The past had been rough for those two, a man nearly severing the deep bond between the two of them, but eventually everything worked out. They were now happier than I'd ever seen them, both married to best friends and cousins, loving the lives they had and the children that life had blessed them with.

All of the fuss my sisters caused was the reason why I was the one who stayed out of trouble, or tried to, and wanted noting more than to blend in and make it through life unnoticed. Little did anyone suspect that little October "Responsible" Dixon was about to turn the world upside down, one small revelation at a time.