I Met A Girl

October

It was the first time I had ventured outside of the house on my own in three days here in Pecan Valley and I was a little lost. After borrowing Ari's old truck I had mustered myself up enough courage to venture through town and to the nearest grocery store, but found myself stuck at the split of two roads. I couldn't remember where we had turned. Cursing myself for paying such a small amount of attention, I sighed and shifted myself to the shoulder of the farm to market road fumbling around for the damned cell phone I hated carrying around anymore. Unless I absolutely needed it I kept the phone turned off, not wanting to see the numerous messages from that one number. I knew I should've blocked it but I couldn't bring myself to do it.  After searching my purse thoroughly, twice, I knew it wasn't there. There wasn't much of an area to search except for passenger side under the seat and I really did not want to do that. A little out of breath, I leaned my head against the material of the steering wheel and attempted to steady myself.

A loud bang on my window had my screaming for dear life. Green eyes met my own, a hint of irritation hidden in the depths, a sour faced teenage boy practically glaring at me from the other side of the frosted window. My pulse was a mess now, adrenaline speeding through my system in response to my scare. Who was this kid and why was he glaring at me as if I had peed in his Cheerios?

*

His name was Pierce and his oh so glorious attitude was due to his car breaking down not far from where I had parked my truck. He didn't speak much beyond giving me directions but I was okay with that, it kept me from having to speak -- nausea was creeping its way toward me and I was worried I'd rid myself of the meager breakfast I'd eaten if I dared to open my mouth. I allowed the music from the radio to fill the silence and focused more on remembering how to get to town for next time, hoping I could manage to get back to Ari's without issue.

"You can drop me off at Stacy's, I'll have my brother take me back to get my car fixed." Pierce grumbled lowly, shifting his long legs awkwardly. I winced for him, wondering if it was always like that for those who had been blessed with height. Unfortunately I was only five-four and most eighth graders towered over me. I continued on the main road -- Main Street, that is -- toward the cute little cafe I had wanted to check out upon my arrival. I pulled in to the nearest empty spot and killed the engine, grabbing my bag to carry in with me. Pierce didn't question why I was getting out, simply nodded and lead the way in, even opening the door for me much to my surprise. Stacy's was a sweet cafe with family pictures littering the walls and the smell of coffee and fried foods lingering in the air. The paint on the walls was a soft yellow, welcoming as I stepped through the threshold. A few people turned to look our way, smiles popping up as they greeted the brooding teenager who stomped his way toward the back, not bothering to speak to anyone.

It was only a few minutes later when Pierce came back with a man that stole my breath in tow.

Grumbling irritably at his brother's antics, Sterling followed behind the walking ball of hormones with a sour look on his face. For all intents and purposes, Pierce was technically grounded, but had that stopped him from "borrowing" the car he'd been told he wasn't supposed to use and going to a friend's? Of course not, which was why the old clunker was broken down on the side of the back country road in the middle of January -- and Pierce wasn't even wearing a jacket! Wondering why he even tried, Sterling still followed, curious as to why his brother was dragging him to the front of the restaurant during inventory day.

When he caught sight of the woman standing at the front, he nearly stopped in his tracks.

Her nearly white hair spilled in loose waves to her elbows, brushing against gorgeous ivory skin as she looked the place over. Color tinted her cheeks in an attractive way and painted her lush lips. Glittering blue eyes swept through his grandmother's cafe, only stopping on him for a brief second. She was short and without even walking any further toward her, he knew that if he pressed against her she'd barely hit his chest. Sterling sucked in a soft breath through his teeth when his body decided to respond to that certain thought. It had been a long time since his body had reacted that strongly to a woman.

Pierce was speaking, he realized after a brief pause. An introduction, it seemed.

"This is October Dixon, she gave me a ride into town. This is my pain in the a-" a sharp look in Pierce's direction cut him off effectively "-rear brother, Sterling Young." A soft smile accompanied as small hand being pushed in his direction. Hand grasping hers, he squeezed lightly not wanting to linger too long even though the pleasant tingles made him want to. Her shy smile bloomed into a full blown grin before she pulled away. Sterling didn't say anything right away and wondered what had brought her in. He considered offering his brothers hero a meal for bringing the kid into town, if only to prolong her visit.

"It's nice to meet you, Mr. Young. I was hoping I could speak with the owner about the sign in the window."

Sign?

"That is, if you're even still hiring." The awkward skid of his heartbeat at her waning smile made him realize in a split second that he'd be hiring her even if they weren't still looking for someone.

Pierce took this as his chance to scurry off and no doubt go bother Harold, the aging cook that had been around longer than anyone could account for, while sterling instructed October to follow him. Considering he knew he was going to hire her without a doubt, this was simply a formality, she just didn't know that.

Once in his office he offered her a seat and a beverage, smiling when she enthusiastically agreed as he revealed a few cold bottles of Yoo-hoo in his mini fridge. A few moments of general catered lingered in the air before they got to the business part. October, he was surprised to find out, was nineteen years old and a college student. Nearly ten years her senior he felt a little ashamed at his strong reaction to her before, but couldn't find it in himself to regret it. She didn't seem to hold herself like most females her age, which he was pleased to note. Her work history was presented to him on a plain sheet of paper — he found it comical that she carried a printed resume in her body bag of a purse.

"I've waitressed — sorry, served — twice before in small places similar to this. I enjoyed it quite a bit but school obligations got in the way and I found it unfair to keep reserved hours when there were others who could benefit from them more." Suddenly, her playful air and charming demeanor grew serious and she looked him straight in the eyes, a pink color staining her face. "Mr. Young, I have to be totally honest with you about why I'm in Pecan Valley before I waste anymore of your time. I won't lie and say I don't need and want this job, but I'm going to be a bit of a burden to have around in the upcoming months if you chose to employ me. It definitely wasn't planned and I can swear there will be no drama surrounding it, though you may have a few patrons that express their distaste or stop coming in at all if my past experiences in a small town has taught me anything."

His heart nearly lurched out of his chest at her next words.

"I'm pregnant, Mr. Young, and I completely understand if you chose to pass me up for employment today, not because of that per say, but because it could effect your business in negative ways."