When I Pray For You

Please don't hate me. 😭

Sterling

How did we get here? I had to ask myself as I stared unseeingly at the set of feet in my line of vision, covered in the same tacky sea-foam green shoe protectors it seemed all hospitals were set on using. My breath caught as I listened to whoever was speaking continue on. Words I was familiar with but didn't quite comprehend in this setting.

Distress.

Whiplash.

Cesarean Section.

Lacerations.

Observation.

The air around me seemed to evaporate with every added word and while I should've been hanging on, asking questions and demanding answers, I was lost to my own concern and pain. Flashes of the day shuddered through my head, my heart racing, feeling as if it were going to burst out of my chest. I knew that part of this was my fault. I'd gotten riled up up, gone all he-man and hadn't been able to control my temper and as a result October and Opal were in danger. It hadn't been intentional, no-where near. Riding toward her house a million-and-one scenarios had run through my head after Pierce had called, I hadn't known what to expect. Was she hurt? Was Opal okay? I hadn't anticipated seeing someone else parked in her drive. And seeing my little brother standing protectively in front of her had bothered me, Pierce was protective of her, I knew, but the dangerous look on his face was enough to send fear through my system. She was whole and intact when I arrived, but confusion, jealousy and anger had swirled in my gut seeing him standing there. I worked my way up the stairs toward her and Pierce, close but not touching.

Despite all of the feelings of rage I felt, there was something in the back of my mind telling me something wasn't quite right. I'd seen desperate men before but looking into his eyes seemed more like a man obsessed, on the verge of a great break. Tense with a newfound caution, I kept my eyes on him even as I spoke to October. Hearing her speak, her voice, was refreshing, revitalizing. I hadn't realized quite how much I'd missed her. Her simple presence seemed to sooth the hair rising on my neck, but still I watched him -- Ian. The bastard who had broken parts of October that no man should've ever touched before me. She was unharmed, safe, protected, but with the way he kept looking at her wasn't right. He started to speak again. Begging her to go with him, asking her to come back and have a family. Claiming that he'd left his wife for her, kicked her out so they could share his home, raise their baby. That simple word had sent a madness soaring through me; theirs. Did he think she was going to hurry along and play happy little family in the same home that he'd lived in with his wife? He was delusional! I could hear her telling him no, telling him to go back home to his wife -- with each word it seemed he grew more twitchy, more aggravated. October didn't seem to notice though, as she kept speaking, telling him he was crazy.

Crazy.

That one single word seemed to spark something in him. A noise emitted from deep in his throat before he yanked something from behind his back and pointed it in our direction, at her. Them.

A gun.

The whole world has stopped turning at the sight of the weapon aimed at two of the most important people in my life. A brief whimper was heard behind me, and my gut twisted uncomfortably knowing that it was Pierce, not October, emitting that noise. He was terrified. And to be honest, so was I. No one spoke through the tension in the air, we all kept eyes firmly in the metal object being held shakily in the hands of a seemingly unstable man. His eyes were wide, his stance unsteady and sweat was heading down his brow — it seemed that October had hit the nail on the head. He was crazy, acting erratically. Had he been the same way before? It was hours it felt like before someone spoke again, but this time, it was the madman.

"Get in the car. Or I shoot."

She'd moved instantly, her heavy swollen feet shuffling down the steps of her home and toward the rough gravel. Pierce and I had pled with her not to go, we could hold our own, but she hadn't listened to us. Had we been sure we could survive? Hell, no. But we would've said anything in order to get her to get away from him. Her and Opal's safety were the most important thing. She didn't listen though, didn't look back as she trotted to his car slowly. My eyes *darted between her and the gun; could I make it? Could I take him and avoid one of us being harmed? My heart skittered to a stop when those manic eyes landed on me with a sick, satisfied smile across his lips. He knew the turmoil he was causing, didn't he? The terror, the agony, the sheer chaos of seeing the woman I loved being put in a position like this. Knowing that he could kill not only her, but the child that was mine, that my heart had claimed months ago. Everything was in his hands.

Helplessly we watch as she lowered her rounded body into the car, eyes glassy as she finally met my gaze. I could see her fears written out across the azure gaze. Angrily I made a move, one that I wasn't terribly aware of — the loud burst of a gun firing echoed through the air, glass shattering to my left as the bullet crashed through the window. A small scream fell from October's lips and that was the only warning we knew we'd get.

"I won't miss next time."

His eyes never left mine as he made his way back to the car, but as he entered the vehicle, the gun was suddenly trained on October again. He was daring me to try to rescue her, but we all knew I would t risk their safety. Helplessly, as my hope seemed to drain, I watched as he backed out of the driveway, somehow managing to maneuver the car with one hand occupied. I waited, breath caught in my chest as he left my sight — only long enough to bark orders at Pierce to call the police and hop on my bike.

For twenty minutes with sound of sirens heavy in the air I raced after them, my heart plummeting to my stomach with each mile they closed in on the highway that would take them away from me. I broke speed limits, narrowly missed collisions with other vehicles as I sped — ignored the orders of the police behind me; my mind was only focused on getting them back.

What happened next was a blur. The sound of metal colliding, of screams, wails of sirens, and grinding breaks. I could feel myself flying through the air as a result of my own attempt to stop. My body kissing the ground, skidding flesh to pavement. Pain.

And the realization when I finally opened my eyes that the vehicle flipped upside down and nearly crushed in half was the one carrying the other half of my heart in it.