Chapter 155 - Choir Concert

Trigger Warning:

Abi's POV

School was finally out. I was home for two hours before the concert which started at 6:30. Lin was taking a personal day from the show to come. I was changing into my black choir dress, the hem of which brushed my lower thigh. I fastened a gold bracelet onto my wrist. I looked myself over in the mirror, I was wearing little heeled booties, they were a part of my required choir uniform, but they didn't come up high enough on my leg to cover the scars that were beginning to form there. I pressed some gauze onto the cuts, and taped it there, after liberally applying foundation I pulled skin colored tights on over it. I looked myself over again, and I realized that if you didn't look directly at my ankle, you wouldn't notice a thing.

"Mijita!" Lin knocked on my door.

"Yep?" I asked, opening it.

"Oh sweetie, you're so adorable." He smiled, pulling bits of my hair forward and fixed it, "I'll drive you to school, then I'll be back in a half hour for the concert." He took my hand and led me out to the car. He drove me out to my school, and dropped me off. "I'll be back soon Peanut. Love you!" He waved at me, then drove back to the apartment.

I was sitting in the choir room we were running  through our set. We finished our run through, and my teacher started talking.

"And of course, Abigail?" She looked at me, "your dads coming?" She asked.

"Uh, yeah." I shrugged, "my mom and brother and my grandparents."

"Wait, seriously?" A kid in another choir turned and looked at me, "Lin-Manuel Miranda's coming to our choir concert?" He asked.

"Yeah, he's, he's my dad." I said softly.

"Yeah, I know, everyone knows, just, is he actually coming to our concert?"

"Is your dad going?" I asked.

"Yeah, but--" I cut him off.

"Then what's so surprising that mines coming?"

"Okay okay Miss Miranda, Mr. Hickey, calm down," my teacher started, "now, we're all very excited that Lin's coming, so, just, sing good." She advised, as it was 6:30. "Okay, Freshman choirs up first." She started to shuffle the Freshmen out of the choir room to go onstage.

I sat down with Josie to wait, our choir was last, we had a while.

Dad:
Hey, we can video these things right?

Dad:
Because, I don't want to be a bootlegger

Mija:
Yeah, go ahead.

Dad:
Thanks! The small ones are going to start singing soon, break a leg in advance

I smiled, then tucked my phone into my pocket. Eventually, my choir was called up to sing. While my teacher gave a short speech about 'this year in choir with these students' I managed to find my family in the audience. Lin had his phone out, held sideways to video, and he was sitting next to Vanessa who was beaming, alongside my grandparents.

We ran through our classical, non-English set first, which, I would say, we did very well. The first musical theatre song we decided on was 'Do You Hear The People Sing' from Les Miserables. I could tell mi abuelo really enjoyed it, I know he was a Les Mis fan, well, as Lin, but, he just seemed ecstatic through the whole thing. The song eventually ended, the Soprano section on a high G, and as soon as it did, I snuck out of the risers in my section, to go to the microphone.