All Shall Fade - Chapter 10 - Survival of the Fittest (LOTR)

Dedicated to Larryskid13 for the awesome Cover. 

------------------------------------

All Shall Fade

Chapter 10

Survival of the Fittest

I watched as one by one, the members of the council left the clearing, except the newly formed Fellowship. Elrond obviously wanted to speak with us alone, and I anxiously glanced at my companions to see if they knew what he was going to talk to us about. Once the clearing had emptied, Elrond took a step towards our group.

“The journey will be dangerous, and much preparation is needed. I suggest you begin now.” He nodded once and Gandalf began ushering the Hobbits out of the clearing. Wait… That was it? No big long-winded speech? Psh… What an anticlimax. I watched as Gimli and Boromir followed the wizard and was about to go too when someone caught my shoulder. I curiously glanced up at Aragorn as I realised that he, Legolas and Elrond were in deep conversation in Elvish.

“What’s going on?” I asked, and the three turned to me.

“The quest will be perilous Alice, and you have no experience in battle.” Elrond frowned and I folded my arms.

“Well, I did stab a Ringwraith… And we all know how well that turned out.” I shuddered at the memory and glanced down at the faint grey lines that still scarred my wrist.

“You need to be trained if you are to survive, which is why I am handing the responsibility of your training to Aragorn and Legolas.” Elrond carried on and I raised my eyebrows as Aragorn stiffened a little. He clearly didn’t like the idea.

“Sounds like a plan.” I nodded a little as Legolas smiled slightly. At least he seemed to like me. Although he might change his tune once he finds out that I’m not actually from Middle Earth…

“I’m glad you think so.” Elrond smiled wryly before gliding away. I turned to my more enthusiastic teacher and smiled.

“So, when does training begin?” I asked as Legolas exchanged a glance with Aragorn – who seemed as stony-faced as ever.

“Dawn tomorrow.”

Dawn? Are you freaking kidding me?!

***

I groaned and rolled over as I was awakened by a noisy clatter.

“Huh?” I mumbled, sitting up a little and blinking in the pale light as I searched for the source of the sound, and spotted an arrow lying on the floor of my bedroom. I frowned and climbed out of bed as I noticed my balcony curtains fluttering. I picked up the arrow and weighed it in my hand as I looked around in confusion.

“Alice!” A low voice called from somewhere outside and I pushed back the flimsy curtain and smiled as I saw Legolas standing below my balcony holding a bow. He smiled as I appeared and leant on the railings.

“Oh Romeo, Romeo, wherefore art thou Romeo?” I grinned as I looked down at him and he frowned.

“Pardon?”

“It’s nothing.” I laughed, pushing a strand of my hair behind my ear, “Couldn’t you have come into my room to wake me?”

“That would have been rude.” He smiled and I rolled my eyes.

“Alright, I’ll be down in a second.” I waved as I skipped back into my room. How lucky am I? Getting woken up by a freaking hot prince who I get to spend the whole day with?