All Shall Fade - Chapter 31 - Defence, Offence

All Shall Fade

Chapter 31

Defence, Offence

I couldn’t help but flinch as Aragorn pushed me up against the stone pillar, out of view of everyone else.

“How did you get out?” He hissed angrily, and despite myself, I recoiled a little.

“What does it matter?” I growled, taking a step forward. “It’s too late, I’m not going back.” He gripped my shoulders tightly, his eyes darkening and I realised just how angry he was with me. “Look, I’m sorry, but I’m not leaving your side.” I softened my tone in an attempt to calm him. “I don’t want to loose you again.” He sighed and dropped his head, staring at the ground as I watched his shoulders rise and fall with each breath he took.

“How can I keep you safe when you insist upon defying me like this?” His voice rose in volume and I shrank back against the pillar.

“It’s not your responsibility to keep me safe!” I cried, trying to jerk away from him, “I can look after myself! I don’t need to be protected!”

“You don’t know what you’re saying…” He growled, looking away from me in aggravation.

“If you’re so desperate to protect me than you can do it better with me up here.” I sighed, “You can’t keep an eye on me if I’m in the caves.” I looked up as somewhere on one of the walls, someone called for Aragorn. He gave me a final, unreadable glance before his hands dropped from my shoulders and he started to walk away. “Aragorn wait!” I called after him, and to my surprise, he hesitated. “I… I didn’t mean what I said in the caves. I don’t hate you.” I sighed, and although he didn’t turn towards me, I saw his tense shoulders slacken a little before he walked away. I ran one hand through my hair as I turned and went to find Legolas. I spotted him and Gimli taking their places along the wall with the other Elves, and I squeezed in beside them. I looked out over the wall, and swallowed nervously as I spotted the flaming torches in the distance.

“Are you alright?” Legolas asked.

“Well I’m pretty sure Aragorn hates me, but aside from that I’m fine.” I sighed, slipping my bow off my back and anxiously fidgeting with the string.

“I’m sure he doesn’t hate you.” The elf murmured, placing a comforting hand on my shoulder as – speak of the devil – Aragorn appeared beside us.

“Well lad, whatever luck you live by, let’s hope it lasts the night.” Gimli muttered as I cast a nervous glance to the side at Aragorn, just as lightning flashed overhead and I jumped.

“Your friends are with you, Aragorn.” Legolas assured him, casting a very deliberate glance in my direction.

“Let’s hope they last the night.” Gimli muttered, and I went to turn to Aragorn, but he’d already walked off. Another bolt of lightning flashed and I flinched again.

“He’s so angry with me…” I sighed, glancing out at the army that grew ever closer.

“He just wants to keep you safe.” Legolas said.

“Yeah, I kind of got that.” I muttered. I wished he’d realise that he couldn’t keep me wrapped up in cotton wool forever.

“It’s only because he cares for you.” I cast the elf a sceptical glance, “He would deny you nothing, save endangering your safety.”

I sighed and looked at the ground, unable to say anything to answer him as thunder rolled across the sky, and with it came a downpour of rain. I listened as it bounced of the armour of the elves surrounding me, and plastered my hair to my head. I could hear the continuous, heavy footfalls of the Uruk-Hai army as they approached the walls.