Chapter 20

Two weeks later, the team had a new case in California. In the meantime, the BAU have had a case in town and had been working on the Charlotte-and-Anthony-Monaghan-case. Unfortunately, they hadn't found a track of Walter Owens so far. Leah had gotten a bit frustrated as Spencer had told her that there was no news about that case lately. But there was nothing she could do about it, so Leah worked hard the next days the team was away in California.

She shouldn't overextend herself, but she couldn't just sit at home. When Spencer wasn't here, she had too much time to think about her biological parents and why they had to die. She thought too much about who she really was and the doubts if she'd be a good mother, creeped into her mind more and more often.

Leah took every chance to distract herself during the case the team had. She visited her parents, she met with Billie for coffee and in the evenings, when she was sitting at home all alone, she had started to read fairytales to her unborn baby girl. That was something that made her getting her mind off the negative thoughts she was having lately.

Spencer called her whenever he got some minutes for himself and Leah assured him that she was alright. She didn't want to tell him that she was missing him a lot and that she couldn't stop thinking about her biological parents and that she was insecure about herself being a mother soon. She didn't want Spencer to worry while he was on the other side of the country to solve a case.

But ten days later the team finally got back home and as soon as Spencer had stepped into the apartment, Leah had wrapped her arms around his neck. "Woah, hey darling", he laughed and then embraced her as tight as he could. He then slowly pulled away and put his hands on Leah's baby bump. A little smile appeared on his face and he leaned down to kiss his unborn child.

"How are you both doing?", he asked and stood up straight again. "We're doing good", Leah replied and then grabbed Spencer's hand. "I'm glad you're back. I missed you", she quietly said before she pressed a kiss on his lips.

"I'm glad to be back as well. We've got some free days now, thank god." Spencer smiled and then finally let fall his to-go bag, which had been still hanging on his shoulders. "I'm gonna take a shower and then we could watch a movie and cuddle on the couch?" Leah loved that idea and nodded before she let her boyfriend go to the bathroom.

With a cup of tea for Leah and a coke for Spencer, they had settled on the couch some time later and Leah snuggled into Spencer's arms. There was one of the Harry Potter movies on TV, but Leah couldn't really concentrate on it.

"I hope that I'll know more about my biological parents before our baby will be born", she burst out all of a sudden. Frowning Spencer looked at her. Leah sighed and continued: "I need to know where I actually come from before I'll be a mother. I...I'm not sure I can be a good mom for our daughter." She pressed her lips together as she felt tears filling her eyes.

"Hey." Spencer wrapped his arm tighter around Leah and pressed a kiss on her temple. "Look at me and listen", he said and gently put a finger under her chin and turned her head so she wouldn't have another choice than looking at Spencer. A single tear rolled down Leah's cheek as she looked up to him.

"You will be the best mother a child could wish for. You'll do great, I'm sure about this. No, I know this. And I promise you, we'll find out more about your parents, darling." He stroked Leah's cheek and then kissed her gently.

~

The next morning Leah got woken up by the smell of fresh buns. The sunlight, that was shining through the curtains, blinded her and she blinked against the light. With a small sigh she sat up in bed and looked around. Spencer was nowhere to be seen.

Before Leah could get out of bed and walk through the apartment to find her boyfriend, the bedroom door opened and Spencer stepped in; a tray filled with treats. Leah's eyes widened as she watched Spencer coming closer and putting the tray on her lap.

"What...what is that?", she asked and couldn't hide that she was surprised. Spencer shrugged. "Uhm...that's breakfast", he then simply said and Leah chuckled. "I know that this is breakfast. I just...why? How do I deserve such an amazing start in the day?"

Spencer let himself slowly sink on his side of the bed and pushed some hair out of his face. "Because you're the mother of my child and I love you more than I could ever explain", he finally replied, leaned over and kissed Leah. "I wanted to do something good for you. I'm away so often although I'd rather stay with you and...I don't know, I somehow felt like I need to apologize."

Leah examined her boyfriend while she took a bit of the croissant. She couldn't think of anything that she could have said right now. Spencer's words had touched her and she felt bad that he felt like apologizing to her.

"Spence, it's your job. I understand that. And I'd never blame you for that. I'm proud of you, I hope you know that." Leah smiled at Spencer and reached out a hand to stroke his cheek. "Thank you for this amazing breakfast", she added and then finally gave herself over to the food on the tray. Spencer had made scrambled eggs with bacon; there were croissants and buns, orange juice and tea. Leah felt like in heaven while she was eating. Spencer examined her slightly smiling. He seemed to be happy and stroked Leah's baby bump from time to time as she fed him with a bite or two from the bread.

When Leah had finished, Spencer asked: "Are you still hungry?" Leah' bit her lips as she looked at the tray on her lap. She had eaten a lot but still felt a bit hungry. The baby would make her fat, she was sure about this. But then...she didn't really care.

When she nodded, Spencer bust out in laughter. "Good thing I've prepared something else for you", he grinned and rolled out of bed to disappear again. Leah waited curiously in bed for him to return.

"Spencer! Are you crazy?!", Leah burst out as she saw what Spencer was carrying into the bedroom: A plate full of fruits. The young agent just smirked and placed in Leah's lap. "You and our baby girl need some vitamins", he simply said and sat on his side of the bed again.

Leah couldn't believe what Spencer had done for her this morning. "When...when did you actually wake up?", she asked frowning. It was only half past nine right now and it must have taken Spencer quite a lot of time to prepare that breakfast. He wasn't much of a great cook, no matter if it was breakfast, lunch or dinner.

Spencer shrugged and grabbed a piece of watermelon. "I couldn't sleep anyway. I was awake at six or so." Leah leaned over and kissed his cheek. „You're amazing, I hope you know that."

And then she and Spencer shared the fruits while they talked and had some good laughs. Leah wished that those mornings, those days would be more often. But she couldn't change the fact that Spencer had to be out of town a lot because of his job. So she tried to enjoy those rare moments even more.

After Spencer had brought the empty plate back to the kitchen and then joined Leah in bed again, she grabbed his shirt and pulled him closer to her. When Leah saw the amazed look on his face she said: "I just want to cuddle. I missed you while you were away and whenever you're here I want to enjoy it."

"That's what I want too", he replied as he wrapped his arms around Leah and she snuggled into the embrace. Soon Spencer's hands started to stroke Leahs' baby bump once again before he pulled away from her and lowered himself to the growing bump.

"Hello, little girl. Here's your daddy talking", Spencer began and pressed a kiss on Leah's baby bump. „I can't wait for you to arrive and to hold you in my arms. Mommy and daddy are excited for you."

Leah couldn't hold back a smile as she watched her boyfriend talk to her belly. And in this moment, she couldn't have felt any happier.