Chapter 21

Leah was six months pregnant, when Derek and Spencer finally got another free weekend. And for this they had planned the dinner at Derek's and Savannah's house on Saturday evening.

Leah was excited to finally see Savannah again and as she sat up in bed on Saturday morning, she hoped the baby would stop kicking until they had to leave for the dinner. She hadn't slept very well because the little girl seemed to be pretty fluttered.

When a kick hit her kidney, Leah winced and grimaced as she placed a hand on the spot she had felt the kick. "Are you alright?" Spencer turned around and looked at her a bit worried.

But Leah nodded. "Yeah, the baby's just using my kidneys as a punching bag", she sighed and then leaned back into the pillows again. For a moment Spencer and Leah remained quiet, until Leah felt another kick. "Oh, damn!", she let out a cry of pain.

Spencer put his hands on Leah's baby bump and murmured: "Maybe I can calm her down like the last time she was kicking almost continuously." Leah let him do what he wanted and hoped that he was right and the girl inside of her would stop causing her pain.

Both, Spencer's and Leah's hope faded after ten minutes. The baby didn't seem to want to stop kicking and with a sigh Leah sat up straight again and then got up. "Where you're going?", Spencer asked and was about to get out of bed as well. "Toilet", Leah just murmured. She had to go to the toilet more often now the more the pregnancy proceeded.

On her way back to the bedroom her look fell on the bookshelf in the living room and she slowly went there. All of a sudden a thought had come to her mind: there was a book full of fairytales somewhere. When she found it she took it back to the bedroom and recognized Spencer's surprised look when he saw her carrying the huge book.

"What are you planning?", he asked as Leah settled next to him. "I felt like reading fairytales and maybe the sound of my voice will calm the baby down", she explained and opened the book.

The next one and a half hour Leah read Cinderella and Red Riding Hood aloud while Spencer kept stroking Leah's baby bump and listened to his girlfriend. And it seemed like Leah had been right: After a while the baby had stopped kicking her kidneys and calmed down again. Leah felt relieved: it would have been pretty annoying to go to the dinner with a baby that was kicking all the time. But it wasn't evening yet...maybe the kicks would start again. But she hoped they wouldn't and her baby girl would sleep a lot now.

~

"Darling, are you ready?" Leah could hear Spencer's voice from the living room. She sighed and cocked her head while she examined herself in the mirror that was standing in the bedroom. "Give me five minutes!", she then shouted. The blue dress she was wearing was really pretty. But she felt like she looked huge now with her baby bump. And she didn't feel pretty at all.

"What's the matter?" Spencer had stepped into the bedroom to see what Leah had been doing all the time now. "I start to look like a whale", Leah groaned and sat down on the edge of the bed.

"That's not true", Spencer replied and joined her. "You look absolutely beautiful, love." Leah gave him a little smile. She knew he tried to cheer her up and she was sorry for the crappy moods she had from time to time. "I don't think so. And it'll get even worse as I'm only six months pregnant and there are three more to go." She let out a deep sigh but Spencer didn't reply anymore. Instead, he got up from the bed, grabbed Leah's hand and pulled her up as well.

"To me you'll always be beautiful and now we should go or we'll be late." He kissed Leah's cheek and since she didn't seem to have any other chance than to follow him, she grabbed her coat and bag on the way to the front door.

There was pretty much traffic in the city this evening and it took Leah and Spencer more time to get out of the city. Nervously Spencer thumbed with his fingers on the wheel, what maddened Leah after five minutes.

"Spence, can you please stop with that?", she eventually asked and threw an irritated look his way. "Sorry", he murmured and stopped immediately. "It's just...I hate being late."

"I know. But you drive me insane with that. We can't do anything about this traffic. Or can your car fly and I don't know it yet?" Spencer burst out in laughter at those words and Leah was glad, she could have brightened up the atmosphere in the car. She didn't like to be late as well and she knew it was mostly her fault that they would be late, since she had been feeling insecure and changed clothes at last three times before leaving.

Half an hour after Spencer and Leah had left the house, the traffic finally started to disperse and Spencer let out a sigh of relief as he started to drive faster again. "Can you text Morgan or Savannah and tell them that we'll arrive a bit later?", he asked and Leah nodded. She grabbed her bag and searched in it for her phone.

Leah quickly texted Savannah that they would be late and right after she had put her phone back into the bag, she felt a new kick from the baby. Wincing she put a hand on her baby bump. "The baby's kicking?", Spencer asked and shot a short glance at Leah before he concentrated on the street again.

She nodded. "Yeah. It's alright. She seems to be nervous, but I have no idea why." Leah rubbed her stomach slowly as she looked out of the window and saw other cars passing theirs.

Her thoughts drifted away; she started to imagine how life would be as soon as the little girl would finally be born. She felt excitement crawling up her whole body and couldn't hide a smile. That was when she saw it. A black car sped towards Leah's and Spencer's so fast, that she couldn't react anymore and neither could Spencer. Leah opened her mouth as she turned her head to Spencer and screamed: "Spencer, watch out!" But it was too late. The black car hit their silver one laterally and Leah felt a sharp pain in her whole body before her world turned black...