Blood-Red Craze

Crack. A branch snapped to my right.

Rustle. A bush shook from my left.

Thud, thud. Thud, thud.The footsteps chasing me.

Just keep running, they won't be able to keep up forever, I told myself... but the twigs and rough woodland floor refused to stop tripping me up, slowing me down and destroying my faith in escape.

The whispers started calling me in a bittersweet tone that made my hairs stand up on end,
"Destery please stop, come and play. Come back and play, Destery. " The whispers graduated into screams, and I tried to focus myself by looking at my surroundings as I ran through the woods, keeping the tears to nothing more than a welling pool.

The trees were stripped bare, black and naked against the blank grey sky and a cool, wet mist hung over the floor much like confusion fogging my mind. Everything looked dead, dark and under toned as if the torment and sadness that lived here had finally taken it's toll.

My feet slammed against the dew-painted dead grass, making my whole body shake with the impact. With the sharp, crisp whispers right in my ear paired with the occasional yell of pure anger it was hard to tell what my swelling headache was due to. I forced my legs to continue advancing, wide gallops barely keeping me out of grasp of the shadows. Pushing further, reaching more and more until I saw some way out of the forest. Sure enough, the familiar clearing, the familiar trees and shrubs, the familiar street lights came into sight. The comforting sounds of cars passing by drowned out the final cries of pleading forgiveness ringing in my ears. The very idea of feeling the pavement under my feet rather than the rugged woodland floor was enough for my body to push harder for a quicker release.

The letterbox on the other side of the street came into sight, the fence either side of the woodland entrance was just infront of me and before I knew it my feet were firmly set on the smooth, grey pavement. My head was no longer pounding, there were no voices intriguing me to stay a while longer and I finally felt myself. Heart and breath slowing, I turned and gave a long sigh. It really happened again and once again I need to continue on with life pretending like I'm not being haunted somewhat by things I can't even describe. One foot in front of the other, I started walking back home.