Blood-Red Rousing

School. Summer holiday's are both a blessing and a curse for me, it's a distraction from the paranormal but a harsh reminder of just how strange and twisted I appear to mankind. I lost my only friend, Natasha, when she moved to America. Honestly, she was the only one who believed me through all of this. Our friendship is clinging on by the lie of keeping contact. My blood-red walls that I woke to kept the promise of another terrible day of torment and anguish without my rock of a bestfriend helping me through it... 

Heaving myself out of bed, I stood infront of my full-length mirror. I looked worse than normal, black circles around my eyes dominating my pale face after the woods. Otherwise, I seemed normal, and it wasn't anything a good amount of make-up couldn't fix. My casual black ringlets were messy without being brushed and my small features highlighted with tiredness and stress. I've never seen myself as attractive because I have such child-like features, but I've been told that I look 'beautiful'. Although, that was two years ago when people still talked to me.

Quickly, I got myself changed into fitting jeans and a black tank top, not forgetting my signature red item of clothing,  in today's case a red cardigan. People call me Little Red Hood because I'm the size of a ten year old and I always wear red... I'm not going to object to it if it's the only attention I get, am I? Pulling my hair up into a bun, and adding concealer and foundation to my eyes, I made my way to the breakfast table.

Smile, be happy, I told myself, and put on a smile that I wasn't sure was fake or real. Skipping down the stairs, I made a right turn to the homey kitchen. It was a nice kitchen in a nice house, big and full of warm colours with nice touches like family photo's. Walking in, I saw Mum giving Niall a banana and Dad already at the table reading the newspaper. They all glanced at me, but smiled when they saw me remotely happy.

"Good morning, sweetpea. Weetabix or Golden Nuggets?" Mum cooed, putting the beige kettle on. She started getting the bowls and milk out.

"Weetabix, I could use some energy." I laughed. Why should i be happy? I'm officially crazy and I have to go to school.

"You'll need it if you're attempting to be happy for once!" Mum meant it as a joke, but it stung a little. She got out the Weetabix and put all the factors of a nice breakfast together.

"I guess. My counsillers coming in today." I sighed, sitting down opposite to Dad and to the right of Niall who was casually ripping part his banana on the table. 

"Already?" Mum asked, bringing over my bowl. I grabbed it and smiled in thanks, before replying.

"She comes every Monday, Mum. Melissa's the only one that's partially believed me all this time." I sarcastically said before I took a spoonful.

"Destery, don't start again. We're helping all we can, it's not our fault that we didn't believe you. You wouldn't have believed anyone if you were at the other end of the stick." My Mum got wound up, stressed, but I continued eating and tried not to shout back for Niall's sake.

"Honey, calm down. Des must be stressed, she's got to go to school after a terrible thing. You wouldn't take it any better." Dad tuned it, whilst folding his paper and crossing his arms in anger. Mum ignored him, and sat at the table. We all chose not to speak anymore.