Blood-Red Sister

** Announcement. The lack of feedback I'm getting isn't exactly motivating me to carry on. The story is drawing it's end, but I might not finish this. I've got three loyal fans, and if I don't update for a day it goes up a total of 2 reads. Wow. Thanks. It's lovely to see all this support rolling in. If I don't get much support after this update, I won't be carrying on. ~Cookie**

The water pounded onto my face, and my opal hair clung to my back. A shower can clear your head, so they say... Now would be the time to try that theory out.

Carrie was in the bedroom, watching The Apprentice. We were going to stay up until we passed out, as we're both scared of the nightmares we're bound to get. We're going to paint our nails, write in our diaries Mum went out to get earlier to let our thoughts out. I like that idea, and we both agreed that we weren't aloud to read each other's entries. I'm looking forward to it. Also, a plan was to play a duet on piano, and compose a little. Tonight's going to be normal... like sister bonding.

I rinsed the conditioner out, and the mud that had clung to my hair left a brown puddle at my feet, before it washed away with any care or thought about how the mud got there. Soon enough, my hair was silky and smooth like it used to be, so I turned the water off before stepping out.

With my hair towel-dried, tousled and curly I got walked into my room with my towel around me. Carrie was looking at the screen, when she looked at me.

"Hey, should we do the nail-painting now?" I asked, and she nodded vigorously. Her cheeks looked like they were going to fall off with all the smiling she was doing.

"Oh..." I said, teasing her with an upset tone. Her face dropped, and tried not to laugh at my practical joke. "There's something you have to know, Carrie." I whispered in monotone, and worry crossed her eyes. I hid a laugh. "The colours are in my parents room, be right back." Laughing, I tried to mentally take a picture of Carrie's sigh of relief before her angry look. I was in hysterics, I hadn't done a joke in months.

"You..." Carrie teased me before laughing with me. 

"I totally got you then!" I got in between laughs. She just pouted and waved her hand at the door, signalling me to to get the nail polish. I stuck my tongue out before turning around... in my towel... and skipping to my parent's room.

I knocked on the door to see if they were in there, but I could here the TV on downstairs, so I walked in.  Still tip-toeing, of course. Everyone does it. 

The carpet was cream, and that was the main colour scheme. The wall opposite to the bed was littered with family photos. I smiled at them, because they were taken before I got into this whole possession thing. Some of them were professional, which I don't like. I'd rather have one where you're laughing with your mates, not a putting on smile while you're told how to stand or sit. 

The bed is patterned with brown stripes, but otherwise plain. As were the cushions. The bedside cabinet were where the nail-polish was. I walked around the corner of the king-sized bed and opened the top drawer. Inside was a box full of multiple colours, reds, greens, blacks... We had it. I took the box, and was careful not to let my towel slip from under my armpits, and I shut the drawer with my foot as I turned around.

***

Changed into different PJ's and with pristine nails, we got our diaries out. I was actually surprised at how long my nails have gotten. Normally, I chew them but I haven't recently. They're blood red, and Carrie drew a little tree on each thumb. It's not top notch, but I loved them. Carrie's nails were a beautiful royal blue, with white dots.

I passed her a diary, which was a beautiful light brown leather with a brass lock around it. Mine was the same, but black. They nearly matched our hair. Carrie immediately grabbed one of the ink pens from the packet on my drawer and opened it. I nearly laughed, her concentration face was hilarious.

I grabbed my pen, and opened it to the first, crisp page.

Dear Diary,

I am Destery Meadows, otherwise known as The Girl In Red from the fairytale Red Riding Hood, as I've got black curly hair and often wear a cape. I have permanently red lips, and really pale skin despite the amount of sun I get. Just kidding, this is England. Being Little Red isn't the fairytale you'd expect. Every time I go into the woods, I get possessed and turned into my 'inner wolf'. Well, at least that's what the voices told me.

I'd rather not go into details, but Carrie (my best friend and practically adopted sister) has helped me though all of this. I met her at the mental institute, and she's been there for me ever since.

My family are also a big help. Although my Mum didn't believe me until about a month ago, Dad has always been on my side. As for my brother, Niall... I'm not sure what to do. I've always wanted to be a loving and kind older sister, but this has stripped him of all attention he had previously. I do love him, and he's going up to school in September, and I'm going to try my best to look after him... or at least let Mum and Dad know that I don't need to be guarded every second of the day. Carrie does that well enough.

With me being bisexual, it feels odd to have a connection with someone so young. I mean, Carrie's 12 and I'm 16. When I say connection, I mean friendship, but my old best friend gave me those butterflies. It's a good job I'm finished with school, right? I'd get bullied so much for all of this. I'm not going to kid myself, the news would get around quickly enough.

Carrie looks like she's finished writing, so I'm going to put my pen down. See you.

~Destery. 

"You done?" Carrie smiled at me, whilst putting her diary down. I nodded and yawned. The clock read 11:49pm. That's gone quickly enough. Carrie, who had seen me yawn, yawned too. So it was contagious. "I'm so tired!" She exclaimed, with her hands stretched above her head.

"Sleepy times?" I asked, getting under my covers.

"Yuppy." She yawned again, as I switched the light off.