~Sweet as a Cherry~

Everyone at the dinner table is quite. My little brother keeps playing with his food.

"So... anything new at school Autumn?" My mum asks me trying to start a conversation.

"Nothing much" I reply with a slight smile on my face.

Mum looked at me with her a raised eyebrow.

"OK, let's just say that there is a boy..." I spill everything about Zach from his crystal blue eyes to his charming smile.

"Sounds better than Ryan ever was. What happened to you and Ryan anyways?" My mum questions me.

"Oh, well he cheated on me" Mum stopped eating and for a moment then carries on.

"With Nicole.." I finish

Mum looks up at me.

"Nicole would never do such a thing. Are you OK?" Mum asks with a concerned face

"I am now, thanks to Zach"

"He must have done a really good job. I couldn't even tell that something had happened until you told me"

"Yeah, he did" I looked down at my plate as my cheeks flush red.

My phone started buzzing in my pocket. I take it out and recognise the name on the screen.

"Mum, can I please go take this?" I ask mum, desperate to hear the voice of my 'boyfriend'.

"yes of course sweetie" Mum replies with an understanding face.

I run upstairs to my room. Shut the door, and jump onto the bed. I answer the phone.

"Zach, you weren't supposed to call me until after dinner" I give a little laugh.

"Sorry, I just couldn't wait any longer" he replies and I instantly smile as my face turns red. Thank god he can't see me right now.

"So, what should we do next as a 'couple'?" It breaks me to make the word 'couple' sound fake, but I keep going.

"well," he starts "we could hold hands whenever we are in public?" This makes me smile at the thought of me and Zach holding hands.

"Sure, that will definitely help convince everyone" I answer with as much confidence as I can put into that sentence.

We end up talking for hours after that, about random things that make no sense to anyone else but us. I check the time on the clock. 3 AM.

"Zach, we have been talking way to long, we need to go to bed. I'll talk to you tomorrow" I tell him with a yawn at the end.

"Fine, but we will finish this conversation tomorrow! goodnight Autumn". He says to me.

"Goodnight Zach." I finish just as I put the phone down. I go sleep with a smile on my face and end up dreaming about Zach again.

The Next Morning

I get to school the next morning and Zach is already waiting outside the school gate for me. When I reach him, he slips his hand into mine. His fingers lace through mine, just like two puzzle pieces that are meant to fit. I lean on his shoulder because it feels so right. As we walk through school, people stop and stare at us, but I don't even notice them. All I notice is how perfectly my hand fits into Zach's. I couldn't feel more safe with anybody else. We get to Zach's locker and he lets go of my hand. I let my arm fall down by my side even though I loved the feeling of him so close.

I saw Nicole walk past. I smile because I know she saw me hold hands with Zach. Everything is fine now, but then Nicole turns around and walks towards me. I nudge Zach with my arm implying to look where I was looking. Nicole storms up to us.

"Autumn, stop trying top steal my Ryan! He chose me over you, so move on." She spits at me.

"Obviously you haven't noticed, but why would I want Ryan anyways? He is a cheater. Besides ... I have Zach now." I turn to face Zach, we hold hands as we walk away. I could hear Nicole's frustration bursting behind me. Zach walks me to my classroom still holding my hand. He looks into my eyes as I look into his. He lets go of my hand once again but without looking away from my eyes. I fall for him all over again. The bell rings and Zach has to walk to his next class. I'm left standing outside my classroom door smiling as I turn around and walk inside.