19 - Act Three

The four of us walked wearily into the third room. It was completely black and empty except for a single coffin in the middle of the room, and of course a TV screen lit up with Eurus' face. 

"One more minute on the phone" Eurus said, before reconnecting us to the girl on the plane.

"Frightened, I'm really frightened..." the little girl sniveled.

"It's okay, I don't have very long with you so I just need you to tell me what you can see outside the plane" Sherlock was trying and failing to sound as comforting as possible. He was just as panicked as the girl, if not more. 

"Just the sea"

"Are there ships on it?"

"No ships. I can see lights in the distance"

"Is it a city?"

"I think so"

Sherlock sounded slightly panicked. "Is there really no one there that can help you? Have you really, really checked?"

"Everyone's asleep. Will you help me?" she pleaded. 

"We're going to do everything that we can"

"I'm scared, I'm really scared"

"It's alright I-" 

The phone disconnected. My stomach lurched. This was cruel. 

Eurus' voice echoed through the speakers once more, causing goosebumps to ripple on my flesh.

"Now" she said playfully "Back to the matter in hand! Coffin!"

"Problem" Eurus said. "Someone is about to die. It will be, as I understand, a tragedy. So many days not lived, so many words unsaid..."

"Yes yes and this I presume will be their coffin?" Sherlock interrupted his sister impatiently.

"Who's coffin, Sherlock?" Eurus asked. "Please, start your deductions. I will apply some context in a moment" 

Eurus' voice disappeared.

"Well" Sherlock looked hard at the coffin. "I'd say this coffin is intended for someone of about 5 foot 4, makes it more likely to be a woman"

"Not a child?" John asked.

"A child's coffin would be more expensive, this is in the lower price range. This is a practical and informed choice. Balance of probability suggests that this is for an unmarried woman distant from her close relatives. That much is suggested by the economy of choice-"

"Yes very good Sherlock" Mycroft interrupted, picking up the lid of the coffin. "Or we could just look at the name on the lid...only it isn't a name"

On the lid of the wooden coffin was a small gold plaque with an engraving on it that read: 'I LOVE YOU'.

"So, it's for somebody who loves somebody?" John said.

Mycroft's eyes flickered to me. "It's for somebody who loves Sherlock"

"Eliza" John said, worry flooding across his face.

Panic flooded Sherlock's expression, he stared down at the gun that had been in his hand since the governor died. "No" he whispered.

Sherlock looked back up at the coffin and repeated himself, but loudly and surely this time: "No"

"What?" Mycroft and John said.

"Don't be ridiculous, look at the coffin" Sherlock said. "Unmarried. Practical about death. Alone."

John looked at Sherlock. "Molly"