Chapter 5: Fox Demon Shippo

dusk was early this afternoon...

with Inuyasha outside, Kaede, Kagome, and I ate together in silence.

up until now, when I decided to ask something.

I gaze to my left at Lady Kaede, "is Inuyasha always this ornery?" I speak lightly.

she stirs her bowl of stew slowly, "aye, Inuyasha is a free spirit, with a troubled past." she rests the spoon in the bowl and holds it with both hands.

Inuyasha POV>

to Inuyasha, this light seemed like a fire.

it may explain the smell of smoke and ash, but there is only one problem.

this village is scattered with them..

his burrowed eyebrows gaped at the cliff for a while more..

"Eh, it's probably nothing," he assures himself and walks away with folded arms.

Time skip>

It got later into the night, and Inuyasha never returned.

Kaede and Kagome have already settled down to sleep, while I sat up looking around.

Kaede peeks open her good eye to spy on me, "my child, come to bed. don't worry about old Inuyasha, he'll show up eventually." she insists.

I gaze at her and stare briefly, the light of the fire kissed my skin and mirrored my small shadow onto the wall.

when I averted my stare I quickly in calmness plopped my head down on a thin light brown pillow..

but I simply lied awake..

meanwhile>

the little child pitter-patters toward his fire with a large smile on his face..

he calmly kneels in front of it, "at first light, I'm going to follow your scent all morning until I find you! I know you're close by now!" he exclaims happily.

the next morning>

it was very early, birds sang loudly but it was not enough to wake anyone.

meanwhile, while everyone lied asleep, a little child sniffed around the ground outside.

he moved side to side gliding his tiny nose around the dirt..

until he bumped it on a doorstep.

he sat up and exhaled quietly in surprise.

suddenly, he swings back the curtain letting the sunlight pour into the stranger's house.

immediately he sees the person he was searching for, lying under an old blanket sound asleep.

his face lit up, he started to walk but he notices a demon lying close by.

he gasped faintly but was able to stumble past the sleeping Inuyasha who had finally returned at midnight last night.

this little child approaches me, he lets out a small grunt while climbing up my shirt.

my POV>

I felt a tickle on my nose, and the feeling of something crawling on me.

I open my eyes calmly, they were a bit blurry so I blinked to get them to adjust.

I discovered a child latched onto me in my chest area..

he smiled largely and sweetly..

I sit up and grab him, then held him up.