Chapter 18: Awaiting your return

"well, come on Inuyasha... join us.." mom calls and smiles at him from the kitchen.

He silently walks forward..

I was already sitting down when I peek up at him from the table..

"Hey, who is that guy Kagome?" Sota asks.

He pointed at him from across the table because he was behind her..

"Saki's friend..." She replies secretively.

"Why does he look so weird?.." he glances up at me.

Inuyasha held his fury and simply narrowed his eyes..

"Um.. mom?.. do you have any more of those buns?.. they're really good.." I say to escape his question.

"huh?.." Sota mutters.

mom brought the basket of white buns over, and as I grabbed one I had a thought..

"um.. Kagome?.. Inuyasha?.. can I talk to you in the laundry room for a moment?.." I ask politely as I put the bun on my plate.

they were confused, and looked at each other.. but agreed.

we excused ourselves and got up..

they followed me and seemed a bit concerned..

the laundry room was just across from the kitchen.. and lead out to the backyard..

I turn and face them as soon as we got far enough away..

"I think I'm going to go back through the well tomorrow.." I say sincerely.

"so soon?.." Kagome says intensely.

Inuyasha sort of took a deep breath and stared at me with widened eyes..

"not right away.." I reply.

"tomorrow afternoon.. I plan on going shopping, I haven't been in the city for so long I'd like to see what's changed.. besides I want to help mom out and do the grocery shopping for her after all she's done.." I add.

"then, as soon as I get home I'm going back.."

"are you going to come with me Kagome?" I ask.

she lowered her head and stared at the floor a moment..

"not right now.. but I will go back after a day or two.. I just have lots to catch up on considering school and all.." she replied.

"okay, Kagome.. I understand.. I don't mean to be selfish.."

"Inuyasha.. I guess it's just us for now.. after all, I'm sure you miss home anyway.." I assure.

"yeah.. but I have a bad feeling about going back.." he says.

"Why so?" I ask perplexed.

"I don't know.. I have these feelings often.. but it's probably nothing.." he insists.

"hm.. I guess we won't know until we get there.. besides, that old man is still staying with Lady Kaede.. and we still have work to do on his house.. we can't stay gone for too long and just abandon him and our promise.." I reply seriously.

"your.. promise.." he retorted.

I scoffed at him and furrowed my eyebrows..

"What did I say about your rudeness Inuyasha?.." I scorned.

"I believe it had something to do with..."

"This?.." I reach up and grab his ear.

he shrieks softly and cowers down slightly..