Act-3

While Mum and Dad went along to see them off, I stood in my place, awaiting their return. Sorta unsure of my feelings; kinda numb I guess. Before I could snap out of it, Mum and Dad came back into the room and became silent. I watched them as they glared at me. Sensing my retreat, they began.

"What was the meaning of that? Would you mind explaining?" Dad seethed, his eyes blazing coals. I stopped myself from taking the step which I had almost taken and let go of the big dress which I was holding with my both hands; hoping to not trip over it in my 6 inches heel. True, Rayyan stood taller than me at 6 feet, even after all this but who said it was a competition?

"Just-- just look at her-!! She doesn't even care to reply--!!" Dad screamed at Mom, helping me wake up from my daydream. I realised then that I had been staring at the floor this whole time. But won't this take long? I wanna sit down. I feel tired already. This dress is so heavy and my head hurts with the dupatta. Why did I go to the parlour to get ready? Maybe, something to do with the fact that it was my nikkah—

"—you want?!!" I snapped out of it as Dad's voice clashed against my ears. I looked up and stared at him. What do I want?

"—what do you care." I whispered in a small voice to myself and turned my gaze back to the marble floor. This is stupid.

"What—what—did you say??" Dad asked in a surprised tone. I looked up in turn and gave him a long hard look.

Their faces were devoid of the happiness from before and it was replaced with anger, sadness and ...hurt?

"Do you enjoy our humiliation?" It was Mom who made the remark icily. I averted my gaze in shame.

What was I thinking? How could I ever make them understand? No, it was all pointless.

I wanted to complain to them about their neglect. I wished for them to pamper me and make apologies for their mistakes. Instead, I kept my head down as I crossed the room and left.

——————————

I checked the clock while grabbing my bag. It was past 10 already. Even though my shift ends at 3, I decided to do extra hours today. All in futile attempts to avoid going home.

I was stepping down the stairs when I missed a call from him. Hmm? It rang for less than 2 seconds. When he didn't call again, I rang him for no good reason.

"Hello?" His deep voice sounded on the other end. I lost mine for a moment there.

"Hi." I returned politely.

"What's up?" He questioned nonchalantly and my brows knitted in annoyance.

"You..called?" I asked, feeling unsure now.

"Oh.. yeah." His answer was short. I was actually speechless at this.

"So..? You needed something...?" By now, I was starting to feel dumb.

".....no.." There was a pause. I licked my dry lips and cleared my throat before saying the next sentence.

"So, I am just gonna assume you are not busy right now. Come, pick me up."

——————————

"So..do you not have any friends?" He broke the silence with his question. I spared him a sideway glance and resumed eating my chocolate icecream which he had bought for me. He returned to slight swinging as if he hadn't said anything. I suddenly became more aware of the crunching noise his feet made; glaring at his feet, then at him.