Act-8

12:35 am

Seeing the time on my phone, I turned and tossed in my bed for the zillionth time. When that didn't work, I sat up and fluffed my pillows. Lying back and feeling slightly satisfied, I closed my eyes and pulled the covers to my chin. However, instantly, as if on cue, the memories from the dance a few hours before came back; gnawing at the back of my mind.

Jeric Medina's—Can't help falling in love; started playing. I kept staring straight ahead in shock and slowly turned to him when he called out my name. His face was inscrutable, as he extended his hand out to me. My gaze drifted to his outstretched hand but didn't seek it. In a split second, he grabbed my hand and cautiously started pulling me down the stairs. The spotlight fixated on us the entire time.

He brought me to the middle of the dance floor and I watched him stupefied when he turned to face me, never letting go of my hand.

"I'll lead. Just follow me." Saying this, he took my other hand and placed it on his shoulder, whilst he held me with his free hand on the small of my back. I gave out a slight gasp at this and gaped at him wide-eyed through this whole scenario; like some idiot, incapable of forming any thoughts.

This was all going too fast for me. I could hear my beating heart and wondered if he could too; but my eyes could only see his deep green eyes, which never left mine for a single second as he swayed elegantly, his body in tune with the slow music, guiding me alongside. I could feel my face heating up and looked away for a split second only; but then he caught me off guard and spinned me around. When I returned, his arms were wrapped around my waist. My whole being was captivated by his intense gaze whilst my hands fell flat against his chest. His body was pressed against mine and there was barely any room to breathe, when he inched his face even closer. My mouth fell open, but I forgot to breathe. I had a vague sense that he had stopped moving, but my mind didn't seem to register that. It could only see that penetrating gaze, which seemed to be spying on my deepest, darkest secrets and baring them open, caressingly...

ARGH!! Stop brain—STOP!! Stop acting like some stupid teenage going through puberty!!

I groaned out loud and smashed my face into the pillow. And repeated this, until I felt I was calm enough to stop.

Sighing, I opened my eyes but didn't budge from my position.

He still hadn't returned after that. I thought, turning on my back and staring up at the ceiling.

If I stayed here any longer, I would start thinking about him again. Thinking that, I made my way outside to the courtyard and stopped to take in the beauty of this ethnic Haveli spread over acres. Closing my eyes, I tried to absorb the serenity of this place that was engulfed in darkness and silence.

My eyes snapped open when my body started visibly shaking with cold. So, pulling my cardigan close to my body, I made a futile attempt at warding off the cold before making my way around the courtyard. I didn't even need to consciously think about where I was going. Despite the fact that I had only been 12 when I last visited, my heart remembered it all.

Blowing into my hands, I silently regarded the beginning of it all. It was here, I met him years later after his mother's funeral. Somehow, I had recognised him right away; despite being only 4, when I had last seen him. It was one of those memories that stayed with you forever. To this day, it was still so fresh and alive in my mind.

I was 9 that year.

"I am next! Me!" I jumped up and down in excitement as I watched Harris bhai jump down from the tree. Awestruck, I inched closer to the big 'banyan' tree, but was pushed down by Fayaz.

The Wrong Wedding जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें