Prologue

A little baby girl, left in a wagon taken by the guards.  War waged around them, to end in days, but it felt like it would last forever.  Her parents killed, only moments after their beautiful daughter was taken.  They fought for their lives, but in the end their lives were taken.

The mother was killed first, as she raced after the wagon carrying her baby girl she was grabbed by the enemy and killed immediately with a stab to the heart.

The father was killed second; he collapsed beside his wife, and then lunged for the men who killed her.  Sword drawn, he slit an evil man's throat, and then stared down at his wife's killer.  He then collapsed, and was killed by another of the evil men that had attacked their village.  Stabbed in the exact same place as his wife, he had no chance of survival.

The guards were killed and the wagon was raided, but not a single soul noticed the little baby girl tucked in a corner.  She lay there for days, unnoticed until the war ended.  When survivors were carefully wading through the wreckage, they heard a weak cry come from the destroyed wagon.  They saw the small child, just barely alive, and fed her.  They looked for her parents, but no one claimed her, so they assumed they were killed in the war.

She lived, coming back from the brink of death, and was placed in an orphanage that somehow survived.

"What shall we call her?" asked the Head of the orphanage when the baby girl was brought in.

"We found her in a cloak with a name stitched on the side," said the lady who had brought her in.

"What is the name?"

She looked down at the cloak and found the stitching.

Robin

"So, we know her first name, what about her last?" she asked, handing the lady back the cloak and looking down at the baby girl.

"I do not know, no one knows who her parents were," the lady said worriedly.

The lady put the cloak around the little baby girl, it may be too big, but she seemed to like it.  The hood was put up; covering all of the baby's head except her face, and that is when the Head of the orphanage got an idea.

"Hood," she muttered.

"What?" the lady asked.

"Her last name.  We do not know what it is, so we must give her one until she may take another," she said. "The cloak has a hood; I suggest that be her last name."

"So, her whole name shall be based on that cloak?" she asked.

"Yes, her name shall be Robin Hood ."