Chapter Five - Robin

"Come back!"

"Never," I mumbled with a smile.

It had been two months since I first shot an arrow, one month since I used magic for aim.  I'm more like Robin Hood from the ballad than ever, stealing and having the best shot around.  But I stole for myself, and no one knew it was me.  My cloak disguised me, my arrows let me get around without touching the ground, and my magic helped with everything else.  I used the same masquerade every time, someone who didn't live in this town so no one would get in trouble for my crimes; I had figured out how to control who I looked like right before I began.

I pretty much live in the cave now, I'd rather live there where I can practice my magic and my aim than somewhere I have to sneak and pretend.  I told anyone who asked that I lived just outside of town with my mother, and she'd send me to get things we need while she'd do odd jobs for people out there and do things around the house.  I've disguised myself as an older version of me a few times and went around as 'Mrs. Hood' just to keep people believing it.  No one really made fun of my name here, but they did ask if that was really my name when they first heard it.  I would just laugh and say yes, and that was it.  I really like this place.

There are a few mean people, but that is to be expected.  I don't really talk to them, and I avoid them as much as I can, but I still see them every once in a while.  And that's okay, it's not like I see them all the time.

I hadn't seen that boy from the woods since that day when he gave me that nickname.  I can still remember what he called me: Songbird.  I don't know why I keep thinking about it, but whenever I let my mind wander I catch myself thinking about him.  I don't even know his name!  Why do I keep doing it?

I had made it back to the cave finally, and I walked inside to find what I had magically transformed it into.  Now no one can see me from the outside (all they saw was a dark, damp cave), and whenever someone walks in they find my home: a bed in the back corner, light coming from nowhere except when I snapped my fingers and made it disappear.  There were some books scattered on a desk, a hook in the wall where I put my cloak whenever I wasn't wearing it, and my bag hanging off the back of my chair.  I now constantly wear trousers and boys shirts, putting my hood up to look like I'm wearing a dress when I go into town.  No one had any clue that I'm not who I say, that I ran away and have magic.

I don't steal much, just a few coins every now and then; I don't seem to be able to make them appear.  Coins and food, those are the only things I can't create.  The man I just stole from had a lot of money to spare, but I only took about five silver and seven bronze.  It wouldn't last long, maybe a week.  I had gotten skinnier and more muscled from living out in the wild and constantly moving, but my stomach seemed never-ending.  I would probably steal again soon, and I already have my next target.  The family was very rich, with a son and daughter and hundreds of gold coins.  They were imperfect and greedy; maybe a theft will help them to see what's really important.

The father was tall with dark features, the mother short with blonde hair and green eyes.  The daughter had brown hair like her father, and blue eyes that I don't know who came from.  I hadn't seen him the entire time I'd stalked the place, he was always out somewhere.  I only knew he existed because I'd heard the family speak of him, and I know that he's just as flawed as the rest of the lot.  I won't take much, but I do hope it'll be enough to open their eyes.  Life is more important than any possession.

I threw the few coins I took into the small bag; two bronze the only things from when I'd stolen before.  I decided that it's best to go now, they won't expect another robbery for a week or so, which is what I had always done in the past.  I must switch things up, or they may catch me one day.  It's highly unlikely, but I must be sure.  Both of my secrets must never get out, no one can know about magic or that I'm the one stealing.  I don't know why it's a big deal, though, I don't take much and the families wouldn't even know if I didn't make a big entrance.

I can't help being obvious about it.  I like helping out the families by showing them that bad things can happen.  I know they have more than enough for six lifetimes of leisure, but they act like they own everything and are better than everyone.  They are wrong.  I've never had family, I've had it rough, they should treasure what they have and try to help ones who need it.  I think it's a good way to give them a nudge in that direction, they need it too.  I'm happy to help, and that's basically my payment for doing it.  I am not greedy, I never will be.  This cloak is what reminds me that things can get worse, and that I should treasure the fact that I can disappear unlike before in the orphanage.

The Head.  I no longer call him that, he cannot control me any longer.  I simply call him, Him.  He is nothing more than me anymore, he is less.  No, that is not true.  He is equal.  We are all equal, he is just mean.  He is the one that made my life a living hell, the one that made me want to leave for so long.  Well, now I have, and it's amazing.  I may have scars and awful memories, but that's all they are.  From the past, they are nothing.  They are just reminders that I dodged what he threw at me, and overcame it all.

And magic is the best thing to ever happen to me, it's wonderful.  I can do many more things with it, and it's helped me to survive all this time.

I left the cave and headed for town, putting up my hood and concentrating on looking like myself in girly clothes.  I looked down at a puddle to see my reflection, and I saw myself standing there in a dress.  I hated how I looked, I've grown quite accustomed to trousers and shirts, and I like them so much better now.  I don't understand why girls can't wear them without being told that they need to change; it's just wrong...we shouldn't have to live this way.

When I arrived in the small town I looked around at the crowded streets all buzzing with the news that the bandit had struck again.  I smiled at how they had no idea it was me and then forced a frown, I need to make sure no one figures it out.  I walked into the clearing and looked as clueless as I could as I went past them to get to my next target.

I got past the crowd and kept my head down as I went through the alleyway to get right outside a window I had scouted as my best way in.  I waved a hand in front of it and it opened silently, just enough room for me to squeeze through (if I use magic to get inside it doesn't turn out well—don't ask) and concentrate on my thief appearance, I almost forgot about that. 

Hey, I'm still getting used to this magic thing; I don't think I'll ever fully be comfortable with it.

I headed for the main room and found the small box filled with silver coins and took five, then nocked an arrow in my bow and shot it in the dead center of a plate someone left out on the table.  That was my mark, how I'd let them know that I had been here, aiming for a tiny target and shooting it perfectly without my magic.

"Hey!"

I didn't turn to see who it was, but it sounded like the boy.  I have to go now, I can't let him catch me, and so I scrambled out the window and ran down the alley in the opposite way I had come.  Not long after I heard a door slam and footsteps behind me.

A chase.  Fun for me, not so much for you.

I ducked around a corner and concentrated on looking like myself, and when he came around the corner, he looked at me with hatred and I probably should've wondered how he just seemed to know it was me, but my mind was somewhere completely different.

This boy that stood in front of me, the son of the rich family, was the boy from the woods.

And he knew I had just stolen from him.