Chapter Twelve - William

I have to remember what Robin had said to go there, but I could only remember bits and pieces.

I know the first line: Going back to time.  I can't remember the second, third, or forth, though.  I remember let him take them not and let past not be forgot. And then the next is on the tip of my tongue, but I can't quite recall it.  And then there's the last line: And present shall not waste.

"Isaac," I whispered, giving up hope that I'd remember the rest.

"What?" he asked, poking his head out of the bars to see me.

I did the same. "Do you know the words you say to get to your inner self?"

His eyes widened. "No, no, no.  You are not doing that!"

"Why not?" I asked, and he took a breath to calm down before continuing.

"Guys are not supposed to see their inner selves; it's one of the reasons why we are not given magic and not able to use it no matter what."

I gestured to the murderer's bed. "Well, he's using it.  Whatever balance you're trying to keep has already been thrown!"

He looked at me stubbornly, his jaw set, and then rolled his eyes. "Fine."

About five minutes of memorization later, I was sitting in the middle of the cell with my eyes closed, ready to meet whatever my 'inner self' was.

"Going back to time,

Secure what is rightfully mine.

Powers given by birth,

At sixteen first emerged.

Let him take them not,

Let past not be forgot.

And future shall be embraced,

And present shall not waste."

I opened my eyes to see a meadow.  A vast, beautiful meadow.  There was a girl standing in the shade of a tree, and when I took a closer look, I noticed it was Robin.

"Songbird?" I asked, feeling as though I haven't called her that in forever.

She turned towards me with a shocked expression, then, with a voice that wasn't hers, said, "You do not belong here."

"But—I need your help," I pleaded. "We're in trouble, imprisoned, and her magic is inside of me.  Is there any way to use it, or to give it back?"

She looked at me angrily, causing me to take a step back. "You do not belong!"

"I know that I wasn't supposed to come," I started gently, hoping she'd calm down and not kill me, "but we're in trouble.  I need to get this magic out, we all do.  It needs to be returned to the rightful owner, needs to be used against the evil.  He's using it for—"

"I know what he's using it for!" she exclaimed. "I see all, know all!  I know more than you ever could!  You do not belong here!  Now leave!  Leave before I kill you!"

"I—I'm sorry," I said, "but I can't leave without your help.  If you kill me, at least Robin will be free."

She clenched her fists and walked up to me, putting a hand around my throat. "You do not make the rules, boy.  You follow them," she said quietly, making me even more afraid. "The Great Creator made them in the Very Beginning, I was there, you weren't.  You don't know what is supposed to happen, all you know is what those fools taught you out there!" She took the hand off my throat, but stayed inches away as she said, "Now leave with your life, you're lucky that I'm letting you keep it."