Chapter Four - Robin

I dropped the flower and took a few steps back, looking from my hand to the flower and back, wondering what the hell was going on.  I then remembered the shockwave that made the Head let me go, and how I created a fire for the first time in my life easily.  And now I made a flower bloom in my hand...what's going on?

I walked over to a tree and put my hand on the rough bark, then closed my eyes and thought of a branch with beautiful green leaves growing.  I opened my eyes, and as I did so I felt my hand being pushed back.

A branch had grown.

I gasped and took a step back.  How was this possible?  It's not.  Anything like this was just for stories, some tale to be told to little kids.  Magic—that's what it's called—isn't real.

But, what else could it be?

I stopped looking at the broken flower and new branch and ran, just wanting to get away from whatever was happening.  I ran until the trees stopped and I met an old building, I had finally found a town.  I put up my hood and walked into it, surveying the old houses and people busying themselves with everyday things.  I walked down the streets and eventually found a bakery, and when I was just about to go inside, a man walked out and said a quick, "Hello, Millie," then walked away before I could ask who that was.  I turned back to the bakery and saw my reflection in a puddle by the door—only, it wasn't my reflection.

It wasn't me standing in front of the door; it was a tall girl with brown hair and blue eyes, staring back at me and doing what I did.  No wonder he had said hi to me; I didn't look like me, I looked like that Millie person.

I felt for my hood and found it, and when I lowered it the reflection changed.  It was now me standing there, and when I put my hood up again, I looked like someone else.  It was a guy about my height with blond hair and brown eyes, and when I lowered my hood again it was just normal me.  Now I know why no one bothered me whenever the hood was up, it was never me, it was always someone else.  My hood disguised me.

What the hell is going on?!

I left my hood down as I walked inside, smelling fresh baked bread and mouthwatering sweets, making me realize just how hungry I really was.  I scanned all the breads and decided to get a loaf of blueberry when a man walked behind the counter.

"You new in town?" he asked me with a smile.

I looked up to him and returned it. "Yes, I just arrived."

"Well," he said. "I think you'll like what I've made."

"I'm sure I will," I said. "How much for a blueberry?"

"Two silver, please," he said, taking out a loaf and sitting it on the counter.  I took out my bag of coins and handed him two, and at that he smiled and said, "Thank you.  I hope you like it here."

I smiled. "I already do."

I left with that and walked around, taking everything in.  The buildings all looked ancient, but they were beautiful.  The houses all had the same kind of look, usually a one story place made of stones or wood with grass roofs.  All the shops looked almost the same, but had larger windows in the front.  I put the bread gently in my bag and headed back to the forest, putting up my hood so no one would know it's me.  I need to figure out what is going on.  How is it possible that I could just...not be me?  Be able to do something that's only ever been told in storybooks, it can't be real.

There has to be some rational explanation, someone must be fooling with me.  But who?  Who could possibly do this unless they had magic themselves?  I groan and sit down on the cool grass, looking up at the canopy of leaves above me.