Chapter 16 - William

Robin.

Where was she?  I floated with the current, kicking and splashing and trying to keep my head above the water.  It tasted bitter as it filled my mouth and I coughed, trying to get the salty taste to leave me.

There.

I saw a flash of red under the water; it looked like she had been tied to a rock, sinking down fast.  I took a deep breath and dived, straining against the will to go back up to where there’s air.  Her hair was flowing out around her—it must be what I saw through the water—as red as fire, gleaming bright in the water.  I grabbed her hand and tugged her upwards, seeing her look up to me as I started for the surface.  I was almost there, so close I could see the sun through the semi-clear water, when I saw bubbles come up beside me.

Her eyes had closed.

She had given up.

She was dying.

I kicked harder, a newfound energy surging through me, and broke the surface, bringing Robin up beside me.  Her head fell limply to the side when it came out of the deep, and I struggled to keep it above.  I spotted something tan off in the distance and started swimming towards it, hoping it was some kind of escape from this dreadful water.

Somewhere to possibly save Robin.

I continued to drag her towards the stretch of what I hope is sand and soon my feet hit the bottom.  I trudged through the shallows, tugging Robin along with me, up onto the beach, laying her down on her back.  She didn’t stir, and I couldn’t find a heartbeat, so I did the only thing I could think of that could possibly get the water out of her lungs.

I put my mouth onto hers and blew.

I did that over and over until I was lightheaded, and right as I was about to grudgingly give up, she coughed, leaned on her elbows, and threw up the salty water.  She went on doing that until her face was red and her lungs were empty.  She breathed heavily for a few moments, then turned to look at me.

Her voice rough and scratchy, she asked, “What happened?”

“You almost drowned,” I said, “but I brought you back.”

She put her fingers to her lips. “H-how?”

I swear my face went red. “I, ah, I—”

“Got it,” she said, her face going red as well.

I cleared my throat and stood up, wanting to change the subject.  That’s when I realized we weren’t back in the cell. “We’re still in the dream.”

“Yeah,” she said, and then a look of realization passed over her face. “It’s not over.”

“Well, it seems to bring out our fears…what are we afraid of?” I asked; she must be the one to have a fear of drowning, because I didn’t.

“Drowning is mine,” she said, confirming what I thought. “I-I’m not sure what else I’m afraid of.” Him, I thought, but I doubted she wanted to admit that.

“Um…” I wasn’t sure what I was afraid of, I’ve never given my fears much thought.  I looked over to Robin who looked deep in thought, her beautiful red hair starting to curl slightly as it dried.  It seemed like a nice beach, the sun setting behind her.  It brought out her beauty, her inner self.  She was complicated, yet perfect.  I don’t get it…

You like her, dumbass.

Wait, what?

Suddenly she looked up at me, her pupils dilated even though it isn’t dark, and smiled at me.  But it wasn’t her smile…I don’t know why, but it didn’t seem like her.