CRAZY COMPANIONS

The day, Sanjana has to leave for the competition has arrived by now. Rithwik was with her.  He dropped her at the station and lingered beside her in her train seat, saying some impish advises to comfort her, for it was her first privacy train journey.

    ‘somehow… between crying for a doll and crying for a lip gloss, girls grow. Somewhere … struggling to balance between a kid and a girl, they steal boys’

    She seamed to be panicked, Rithwik remembered of their day1 meet and he was cracking some foolish jokes to Sanjana again as a step to comfort his baby girl bestie who was showing a strange expression in her face just like a baby on its first day of school. Both champs were giggling. Sanjana , at times use to admire her crazy companion for all his mischeivements. This continued till the last whistle for the train blew. Rithwik got down the moving train, waving hands to Sanjana and conveying his final piece of words,

  “Happy journey sweet ”

          She waved back to him and came back to her seat. She fetched her favourite book from her bag and began to read, holding it erect in front of her face. As her earphones slipped down from her lap, she bent to take it. Once she took and looked up, she was shocked to see the guy who was sitting rite opposite to her. Equal shock was evident in his face too. Sanjana gone numb for a second and gained back her senses and resumed with her book again. She lost the peace she had a minute ago, completely. She climbed up to her birth, shoved into her earphones, she tried to sleep but in vain. She resumed to read her book again.

    That guy entered the cubicle after being somewhere for a while and searched for Sanjana who was sitting near window and finally found her lying in the upper birth. He took a step back, looked up and read the name of the book she was reading “Life isn’t a fairy tale ”. He shrugged his shoulder as if whatever. He then went and laid flat on his birth and glanced at Sanjana every now and then. Sanjana didn't sleep well throughout. Rithwik rang her some three times in between to check if she was ok. Finally when she was immersed in a deep slumber, it was early in the morning. She was sleeping so deep that she wasn’t even aware, Hyderabad station is nearing. He was kept on waiting for her to wake and gone restless when there was only 15 mins to reach the station. So, he decided to wake her up. He went near her birth and was about to call her but before that he was disturbed by the song he heard very minutely, from one of her earphone hanging down.

   ‘kaal molacha rangoli ya nee nadanthu vaara pulla… kallu patta kannadiya nan odanju poran ulla…’

     “our favourite song and those same lines ” he thought to himself .

  He kept staring at her for a minute and was distracted when she turned. Then he called out to wake her up.

    "sanjana…sanjana… only 10 more minutes to reach Hyderabad station"
  he said.

   Sanjana was shaken to hear his voice so near. For a second she thought it was dream and realized it wasn't when he called out her name once again. She woke quickly and got down her birth in a haste and went to freshen up. When she came back, he was sitting with two cups of coffee.

  “coffee for you”  he stretched his hand with coffee cup.

  She threw a  sharp stare in anger and began to collect her belongings and got ready to get down. By that time the train already reached the station and she got down. He stood there numb by her cold behavior though expected.

   No sooner she stepped down the train, her mobile rang and call was from Rithwik. That was his nth call since the previous night.

       "Safely reached sanju?" came his concerned voice from the other side.

       "Ya ! Ya ! dear. You go and rest for a while. Wanna go to college and look after the committee works na?"

        “Mmm…yes. Ok take care buddy bye” and he hung up the call.

   Something strange here is, these two people exchanged their phone numbers only the previous night. Yes they are mysterious in everything.

  Sanjana then rang up to her mom, she picked up in the very first ring as she was waiting for it.

  "Good morning ammu. How was your privacy journey?"

  "Fine ma!"

    "Is the place you have to go is far away from the station?"

   "No mummy, just half an hour. I’ll go by taxi"

 "careful sanjana. Update me every now and then" her mom said in a worried tone.

  “ sure ma. Don’t worry. I can handle. Convey to Arjun and dad that I’ve reached” she said in a confident tone and hung up the call.

     By now she reached the station enterance. She found many autos and taxis. One of the taxi driver came to her and being Hyderabad he asked in Telugu,

       “ ekkada povala madam? “

       “Oxford medical college"

       “ Rs.200 mam”

       “ ouna. Seri potham.” she replied and got inside the taxi

  They reached the college in another 35 minutes. Paying the driver and thanking him, Sanjana went inside the college. She reached the reception.