Episode I: Part 7: Something Broke Loose, A Lot of It, and It Was Really Hot

Val peeked out over the edge of the table. Was it safe to run for it?

When people ran for it, what were they running for? What was it? Was it a gold medal? The chance to not die...whatever it was, people always RAN for it. You never heard anybody WALKING for it. Just didn't have the same ring.

However she was going to get where she needed to go, it wasn't safe yet. The Genocidal Cashier had opened the floodgates, and a Vesuvius of Violence had erupted from the coffee shop to the four corners of the Earth, in only seventeen minutes.

Nobody got anything done in seventeen minutes.

If you really wanted people to work together, give them the cause of wanton destruction and crimeless murder. Those are the ties that bind.

Ian's head popping off would go down in history as the Moment All Hell Broke Loose. MAHBL, as it came to be known colloquially, was when the Bubbling Rage that had been threatening to spill over since the first homo habilis broke his sharpened rock and threw it across the grassy plains exploded in a tsunami that spread across the world.

It had been a bloodbath. Val ducked for cover the second she saw a fat man eating his own intestines. She'd heard of self-destructive behaviour, but this was ridiculous!

Anna-Lynn was long gone. Had it been after the tank drove in through the window, or after a group of fit young men used Ian's head for footie practice?

It didn't matter. Only one person had seen this coming. 

And she had just broken up with him for it.