7. FAMILIES II

ANNA

The lunch with Seth's parents went well. They were nice to me. They said that they wanted to talk to Mom and Dad. Seth told them that he will ask for an appointment. They understood. But it was his Dad who told him that he will call my father after the lunch. Seth disagreed but I guess, no one can say no to Joseph Aaron, even his own son.
We said goodbye to them after the lunch although his mother still wanted to talk to me. Seth told her that we will visit them one of these days. His dad on the other hand wanted to talk about the wedding. Seth told them that we will one of these days.

When we were in the car he told me that we will be going to Vegas after we talked to my parents. I wanted to do it fast so I could leave.  Then his phone rang.

"Yes?"

Silence

"Mr Ortega."

Dad? I looked at him but he never glanced at me. He was listening to the person on the other line who I presume is my father. I saw him clenched and unclenched his fist. His jaw set. Oh no! What's wrong? What is my dad telling him?

"See you tonight Mr. Ortega."

"Was that my Dad?"

"Yeah! He wants us to be there tonight."

"Oh no."

"Relax. He won't do anyhting I will not do. And I won't let him."

And I flinched at how he said it. I know that my Dad is a hard man and he drives everyone crazy. He is a slave driver and wants everything to be done the way he wants it. But Seth seemed to be just like him. He does not care who goes under his truck as long as he knows you are blocking his way. I guess Dad might just have met his match. Seth does not seem to be the typical yes man.
-----
DINNER

SETH

I have been thinking how could a successful business man of this millennia could ever do such outdated practice like marrying his daughter to another guy she does not love? I mean I do not really care when I should get married but, hell I will not let any daughter of mine marry a guy they do not love.

When Anna and I arrived at the restaurant, her family is already there waiting for us. Of course I have to act natural to convince them of the relationship but I will not let her father bully me or Anna into something we both do not agree with.

"Seth"

"Mr. Ortega. Mrs Ortega."

"Let's sit."

Anna and I sat beside each other. After we are served of our food, her father started talking.

"Seth, you probably know that Anna is engaged to be married to John"

"I know that Mr. Ortega."

"And you still continued with it?"

"Yes. I don't believe in arranged marriage especially if the reason is for convenience, Mr. Ortega."

"So you mean  you are willing to disregard an agreement, remind you, an age old agreement!"

"I really do not care about any agreement that I am not in any way privy to it. All I know is I want your daughter to be my wife and she is mine Mr Ortega. Whoever disagrees with me in that aspect will have to deal with me. I believe Mr. Ortega that, you have a proposal to my company about your Lenox Hill in Alabang?"

"So are you trying to say that you will stop my project."

"Well, that and many others. You see, Anna here does not desserve the jerk you chose for a husband. You could have done better than that. And yes I knew about the agreement long before Anna and I dated but I only want something, i need her to be with me as long as I live and I want you to get her out of the deal."

"You speak like you own everything Mr Aaron."

"You know I do, Mr Ortega. Now that we're done, Anna and I are leaving. Good night Mr Ortega, Mrs Ortega..."

And just like that, we left my parents at the restaurant shocked. I want to cry and thank this man who stood by me even if he does not know of my existence a week ago.