90 days to live - Chapter 5

I detest tense situations like this; ones where the answer could quite severly affect you in so many possible ways.

Zena's violet eyes bore right into mine as she purses her lips in concentration. She sits forward from her large office chair and places her forearms on the mahogany desk that separates us. I wriggle around on my hard seat, trying to find something to distract me in the office of Warrior Medic one. It's too sophiscated to be cluttered with useless ornaments. The only noticeable decoration is the enormous wall print of a rainforest; it's breathtaking. The evergreen trees are dripping with the rains and the leaves create a viewing spot of an old rickety bridge; the only sign of mankind. Apart from the decorated back wall, the three other walls of the cubed office are glass. 

Outside, bustling Medics hurry around, presumably to treat other warriors. What unnerves me most is that I can see everything and everything can see me.

Stretching down the corridor are exact replicas of Zena's office all with unique back walls. On some there are rolling waves on beaches, on others there are erupting volcanoes; the oozing lava cracking in bombs from the huge craters. The scenes are all completely natural. In every office, it is the exact same scene; a Medic sitting behind a large desk with one or two Warrior's sitting opposite. 

"Lara how long have you been experiencing these symptoms?" Zena asks.

"A few days" I reply. Zena remains silent but it seems as if the answer to my questions is locked just behind her lips.

"Zena, do you have any idea why I suddenly have these bouts of nausea or pain?"

Zena rises gracefully to her feet. Her tall, athletic figure is dressed in a smart cream business dress; she looks more like a supermodel than a Medic. However I've seen her healer's hands at work on the other Warriors. It's hard to believe she's mere year older than me. I cover my arms around my waist self conciously. With my sloppy tracksuit bottoms, vest top and tousled hair, I feel like we've stepped out of two parallel universes.

She wafts around the corner of the huge mahogany desk and heads to the back of the room. My eyebrows furrow in confusion as she heads for the door. She can't leave without answering me. My mouth opens to voice my thoughts when she activates the control pad and orders calmly.

"Seal"

My eyes widen as the door closes. The glass walls are covered by white slides that descend from the ceiling and click to the floor, securing their stature.

We're sealed in.

"Sorry about that Lara" Zena smiles apologetically. "We're going to have to run some tests to determine if you have a virus or something"

She walks back over to the desk and I follow her every movement. When she reaches the desk, she faces her back to me and places her arms on the table. For a few moments she's stationary as I stare in confusion. 

"Zena?" I ask apprehensively. The sound of my voice must have broken her out of her thoughts as she turns around to face me. Sighing, she uses her arms to push herself up on to the desk. A long of her straight raven hair flicks over her violet eyes and she quickly wipes it out of the way.