90 days to live - Chapter 19

PLEASE REMEMBER TO COMMENT AND VOTE:)

"Iron is awake." Zena says, her touch rousing my body from the bed.

With Jared still under specialist observation, I relocate to the Zena's office to be with him. Obligingly, she works with other patients in another office.

Jared becomes stronger. At first, he was only able to inform us on meagre pieces of detail about the Sicarii base and their aims. It seems that they will attack soon, using teleportation devices like the one the Auctor wore. This is duly noted by every Warrior; everyone is on their Guard. What we did not anticipate were the Sicarii's undeniably large numbers, far greater than our own.

Time goes by smoothly but too quickly for my liking. I've past twenty years old and each day I'm coming closer to the battle that will determine everything. I try and grasp desperately at the time as it slips like sand granules through my fingers.

"May I see him?" I reply, pushing myself off the bed. My suit is ever the same, without a crinkle nor a crease despite the fact I've slept in it all night.

"You'll have to be quick. He's frail from being unconcious for so long." Zena says, walking to her desk and filing some papers into the drawers. I sigh; its been too long for him to be under the influence of sedation.

 I gaze at Jared's sleeping form as I linger by his side. His arms begin to flail about the bed until he awakens with a gasp; the same way he does everytime I leave while he sleeps.

"I'm here." I whisper.

"You left." He says, his eyes wide and panicked. I place my hand on his and peck his lips.

"I need to go and see Iron." I say.

"Can I come?" He asks. Technically he should. Carlisle seemed to know that he would return and appointed him as a leader as long as Zena classified him to be fit.

"I'm going now."

"Thats ok." Jared smiles, throwing off the duvet and swinging his feet around to meet the floor. He's now dressed within his own black suit. Underneath the skin of his suit, on the left side of his chest is a tattoo of the STO's symbol. It seems to be a ritual for the male Warriors.

"Are you sure? You've been working yourself hard lately."

"I'm a leader Lara." He grins. "Besides, if I can fight off a Sicarii even in my current state, I'm pretty sure I'll be able to handle talking to Iron."

I shrug my shoulders. He's right; he has excelled in every test so far; agility, strength, combat, decision making. He'll be ready for his trial soon. His body has a remarkable capacity of healing qualities. My breath hitches suddenly. Who knows how Iron will react to Jared's fortuitous return? More importantly, will he approve of my decision of granting Jared sanctuary?

"Lara?" Jared calls. I smile at him and entwine my fingers within his. His grip immediately tightens and begins to crush my hand. The re-establishment of a healthy diet, love and exercise is already restoring his strength. Mutari strength.