90 days to live - Chapter 15

Please don't forget to comment and vote.

INSTAGRAM: sophie_alcock

We plan, scheme, and sweat over our rescue mission. The 3 other quarters and I sit huddled around a large table covered in blueprints and various pieces of paper in a room adjoining the control base.

For weeks now we have been devising a foolproof plan that ensures our recovery of Ally. We've been using all of our spare time to lock ourselves in this room with each other and these papers. With the fourteen members of our team prepared, we're almost ready to leave. In fact, our scheduled allotment of time to go is in 2 days. Friday August 3rd.

Normally I would not remember dates but this one is especial. This Friday is my birthday. The thought of being 20 years old is abnormal to me; I still feel as inexperienced as a child. On the other hand I've probably cultivated more events, hap-hazard or not, than anyone else turning 20.

Nathan lifts his head, unsettling his glasses from his straight nose.

"I think we should leave it at that for tonight. We have time to squeeze in a training session before lights out." He says.

Lights out. It reminds me of Corruptio; the city I once called home. The lights turned off every night at 9 to save energy. Thats when the night horrors came out. I wonder what happened to the cities. The Leto must have replenished them because my mother took residence back in our old area.

I nod in agreement, dropping my pen on the table. The dim lighting of the room tires my eyes and makes me think of the sleep my legs are so desperate for.

Kyle stretches out against the back of his chair.

"Lara shall we go?" Kyle asks. I nod my head slowly.

Nathan glances curiously at his brother and then at me. His eyes jab bluntly into my own, pressing a question. I shrug.

"Iron, you coming?" Nathan turns to look at Iron. His head is still bent laboriously over papers, his hand frantically scribbling drawings.

"Iron we have the plans worked out. You need to train." I say tiredly. Truthfully though my body ails the idea of any more exercise, I'm desperate to get back in the gym and push myself even further. I'm exhausted but more energetic than ever.

Iron doesn't reply. He's stayed up late every night while the rest of the STO sleeps. The Guards report that he doesn't leave the room until 3 in the morning when he goes to train. Hes wearing himself down.

Kyle and Nathan glance worriedly at me. I nod my head at the door signalling for them both to leave. They nod their heads in understanding and head towards the door. As they open the door the brief hum of the noisy control base echoes throughout the room before the door swings close once more. Iron doesn't even look up.

I sigh and drag my chair closer to his. I was sitting opposite earlier, so it requires a large amount of the energy that I don't have to drag the chair across the room.

I touch his shoulder gently and he flinches.

"Iron you need to stop working. We've got this figured out."

Iron looks up, his eyes filled with disbelief.

"Everything needs to go absolutely to plan. It must go to plan." He says, his voice sounds childish and scared. He's trying to convince himself.

"Iron you won't be abe to function properly unless you fit some sleep into your schedule. Its not healthy staying up so late and then training." I say pitifully.

His hazel eyes focus on me so he appears to have the expression of a wounded animal. I take that as my sign to continue.

"Come on, I'll take you back to the compartment and you can rest." I say calmly.