Chapter 6

I didn't dare shed a tear. Shedding tears when they did something to you would be like hitting accept on a request for them to bully you. I, however, would not let them get what they wanted.

On my way to the library, I paused at a familiar name that was mentioned in the teachers' lounge.
"Faye is- no what I'm trying to say- which of course is understandable-" The person talking was continually interrupted. It wouldn't have taken a genius like me to figure it was our homeroom teacher quite clearly talking about Faye over the phone. It wasn't my business but I had to know anyway. "Faye has not taken a knife out in school. Have you checked- but- I see. I will talk with her soon." The click of the phone going down and footsteps nearing the door was my cue to leave. Suspicion and curiosity washed over me as the conversation repeated itself over in my head.

I had period three with Faye.

Honestly, I didn't care if she noticed the multiple quick side glances I took at her but that all ended when the very teacher that was on the phone entered the room. She left when he told her to and I was the only person that knew why. Multiple people in the class hummed with ideas about why she might have been taken out.

It's Faye; it could be anything.

After the teacher silenced us all, there wasn't another word about it again.

At the end of the day in homeroom, Faye entered and the rest of the preps snapped to reality.
"We heard what happened." Matthew said. Faye shrugged, clearly not wanting to talk about it but in that friendship group they didn't really have a choice. It was share everything or leave and one thing was for sure: Faye couldn't leave.
"A knife went missing at home and they blamed me." Faye explained, locking eyes with me. As soon as she did, however, I noticed her eyes twinkled with confusion before realisation and finally hatred.
"You!" She called out. "You knew! You framed me!" She attempted to launch at me but her friends caught her and refrained her but that certainly did not stop her trying. She wiggled in their arms, trying to free herself so she could harm me. Using the usefulness of her friends, I stood calmly with closed eyes. My mind kept telling me to just breathe in and out steadily and to not make a big fuss of this.
"I have no clue how you would come to that conclusion. How would I steal a knife from your place? I don't even know where you live." I remarked but she wasn't showing any signs of giving up.

Moments passed and I was sat down again, as was Faye. If there even was a conversation, it wasn't as loud as usual.
"What if it was Emily?" I even felt my ears prick up when Adam said this. Everyone from all over the room stopped their mutterings and looked in their general direction: excluding me. I only listened.
"Shut up, Adam. That's stupid. She's dead." Georgia then replied, stating the obvious. Everyone was listening in at this point but the preps didn't care. After all, it was a matter that concerns everyone including the class rep: me.
"Yes but she might curse you or come back as a ghost! What do ghosts do with knives?" It was a rhetorical question but everyone had answered it in their heads judging by the concerned looks on their faces when I peered over the top of my book. No one wanted to believe that Emily had come back. I didn't believe it.

After a while the class went back to their conversations but I could still hear the preps tossing the idea around and discussing it. It wasn't until moments later there was another silence.

No, there was something there.

Something that made me put my book down and try to listen as hard as I could.