Chapter 16

Our short time with Rebecca was not any less memorable. She had died possibly the worst death out of everyone who had died.

But back to reality: I was alone.

Clueless as to where my friends had ran off to, I began to search.

Fear began blooming and growing inside me since as I walked, whispers echoed and drilled their way into my head.
"Never forgive....Apologise...All your fault."

It was all repetitive but no matter how many times I had heard it, it didn't change the fact it was making me want to hide and not come out. I was terrified. I debated with myself whether or not to call out for them but of course I decided not to.

I wasn't willing to take the risk.

Agonising pain still tormented my wrist as I ran. I tripped over arms of corpses and debris that erected from the ground. Not only that, the floor was lined with a thin layer of blood; it was impossible running through there without slipping. As much as I wanted to cry out for help in case of any nearby survivors, I couldn't. There was no telling where she was.

Frozen, I listened intently, hearing screaming and yells of pain coming from downstairs. Instinctively, I ran the opposite direction but something within me made me stop and follow the sounds. No matter how much my brain told me it was a trap, my body wouldn't listen. It would shut out all communication with my mind and just run.

When it came to the stairs, I was cautious but still running. I had passed the infirmary Cass died in, I had passed the wall long ago whereupon Rebecca was thrown. I noticed one thing about them. Their names were written there, in their own blood.

The stench stung my eyes but I had to keep going. It was silent but I knew it was coming from the room next to our homeroom. There were so many ideas in my mind, all linked with 'but'. I was contradicting every single one of my thoughts with the worst case scenario.

Out of breath, I had arrived at the doors of the room I should not be at. The silence, however, was a good sign. Like they always said, lightning never struck twice. But what was killing us off one by one was not lightning so I forced that idea out of my mind. I mindlessly slid the door open and entered looking around. All of the desks were moved into a circle and in the middle of that, the teacher's locker was crushed into a tiny ball, which was surprising since they were made of a strong metal. All around it was what seemed like a pond of blood; puddle would've been an understatement. It spilled out all over the place. Someone was inside when it was crushed; no one would've survived that.

I scanned the room for a name. I looked to the ceiling as a last resort. Written on the ceiling, with little droplets of blood patting onto the floor as a result of it was the message:

Bye bye, Adam.

Death count was now sixteen. Possibly seventeen but I needed to find Cameron first to confirm that it would've been true or not true depending on how I found him.

While mourning Adam, the door slid open and fear ripped through me once again. I didn't turn around; I was waiting for the blow of an attack to happen on my back but none came. Instead, a quiet voice said:
"You heard it too?" I turned, relief replaced the fear and I ran over, hugging Cameron which is something I never would've done if that hell had never happened. I had told him how grateful I was to see him. To see anyone who was breathing, really.
"Of course I heard it." By now, I still hadn't let go and Cameron felt the need to pry me off.
"Who was it? Anyone we know?" I was silent, I just pointed a finger to the ceiling where the sick message was written. His eyes looked up and followed a droplet of blood down to the crumpled locker.
"What a messed up way to die." I hushed him for the fear that Emily would return but he was only speaking my thoughts. All the people that died in this school had a slim chance of having a proper memorial. God knows what a ghost was going to do with thousands of slaughtered students. After all, Cassidy still hadn't shown up.
"How do you think we're gonna die?" Cameron asked me, going over and sliding the door shut so we were officially stranded in the same room as our lifeless friend.
"Honestly I think we're going to get out of here and grow old." Those were just my comforting words, though. We both knew otherwise. He played along anyway.
"I want a golden retriever one day." We both sat on separate desks, technically waiting for death.
"I have one at home. Her name is Pookie." I told him, both of us lightly laughing. In a place like this, in order to keep a sane mind you had to act sane. Right now, we were found just that.
"We have two cats but I've always been a dog person." Our conversation went. Ack and forth and it was fun. We almost forgot about the locker stuffed with a youth's corpse.
"You know, Jenna was my first girlfriend before she jumped out that window and I just wanted to tell you that-" he got cut off. I asked him what was wrong but he wouldn't speak. All that really came out of his mouth was blood and that's when we both remembered that no matter how hard we wished it was a normal school day, it wasn't and never would be. He dropped to the floor, a knife lodged so far into his back you couldn't see any of the metal.

In his place, Emily sat there, a thin smile spread across her face.
"This is how it should have been, Bella. You and me, sitting here talking." I couldn't talk because of the lump in my throat.

I was the only one left to die.