Chapter 14

Zayden somehow managed to go through his final semester at the college. He was a mess and Hafsah didn't seem to care. She lived her life to the fullest while he watched her sadly everyday. Hafsah was in her third year while Zayden was doing his NYSC. He even made his father speak to some people to get him to serve at Zaria. His father was going to give him a place at NNPC since he studied petrochemical engineering but he chose to serve in Zaria instead.

     It killed him everyday to see how happy Hafsah was without him. It was like she never felt anything for him. Everyday, he would purposely cross paths with Hafsah just to see if she would talk to him but as usual, she ignored him. Zayden couldn't bear it at all, he became so vulnerable, so fragile, that he could break any moment.

     Zayden looked into his fridge and saw that he was running low on groceries. He decided to go grocery shopping, not knowing who he would see there. As he walked into the super market, a niqabi walked out. He knew that walking step and those brown eyes that he could gaze into forever. He turned back and followed her outside.

     "Hey Hafsah." he said, grabbing her wrist.

     "Zayden?" Hafsah replied, gently prying his grip away from her wrist.

     "Please Hafsah, let's start over." he begged.

     "It's been more than a year Zayden, please move on."

     "That's the thing, I can't move on." he sighed. A keke came and Hafsah got in, completely forgetting Zayden was talking to her.

     He sighed and walked back inside to get the groceries. When he was done, he left to Hafsah's apartment. Mustering all the courage he could, he knocked on her door.

     "Comi-" She stopped when she saw Zayden.

     "Zay-" he cut her off by crashing his lips on hers. Hafsah stiffened for a few seconds before melting into his arms. She kissed him back with passion. This wasn't anything like her first kiss. She could feel those butterflies in her belly and larva threatening to erupt. Closing her eyes, she pulled him closer and let her hands ruffle his hair. Then they pulled apart.

     "What was that?" she asked breathlessly. "Hafsah I know you feel the same way I do, please give us another chance."

     Hafsah raised a brow at him and banged the door in his face.

     "Hafsah!" he called from outside. She ignored him and paced the living room, wondering what the hell just happened there. She was feeling things she shouldn't be feeling.

     "I don't love you Zayden." she muttered to herself. But she did. She knew deep down she still loved him but she was scared to give him another chance. She didn't want her heart to be broken for the second time.

     "Hafsah?" Sameerah called, coming out of the room.

     "I'm so confused Sameerah." Hafsah admitted, plopping down on the couch.

     "What's wrong?" Sameerah asked.

     "Zayden." she replied. "He was here some moments ago and he- he kissed me."

     "He what?" Sameerah gasped.

     "He kissed me and funny enough I didn't pull away. I could feel butterflies in my tummy Sameerah." Hafsah sighed.

     "Do you still love him?" Sameerah asked, searching her eyes for answers.

     "I don't." Hafsah replied, but Sameerah could see beyond her lies.

     "You do." Sameerah stated. Hafsah looked at her and sighed. "Maybe."

     Zayden on the other hand didn't understand why Hafsah kissed him back only to shut the door in his face. He had a little hope that maybe somewhere, just somewhere in her heart, she still felt something for him. He sighed and sped off, not concentrating on his driving. All that was on his mind was Hafsah. How happy they were together before he broke her heart, the sweet messages they exchanged, he thought he would be her hero but he turned out to be the villain in their love story. For the first time, Zayden felt the pain of being rejected. He was always on the giving end, he broke hearts, but the tables turned this time. He broke her heart yet he was the one broken. Their memories could be the death of him.

     He didn't notice a heavy duty truck coming his way and when he did, it was too late. His car went flying to the side, stopping when it hit a big tree. The only thing he remembered before blacking out was Hafsah. In a few minutes, sirens were blaring the streets of Zaria. Zayden was rushed to Ahmadu Bello University Teaching Hospital, Shika and was immediately taken into the ICU.

     "We need to contact his family and get someone to fill the paperwork." The doctor said.

     "Yes sir. I'll check his wallet and phone if I can find anything." The receptionist replied. She tried calling his parents but their phones weren't available, they were out of the country. She searched his contacts and messages and saw all the messages he had sent to Hafsah.

     "Hafsah." she said and immediately dialled her number with his phone. It rang but she didn't pick up. She tried severally and Hafsah still didn't pick up.

     "Why isn't she picking up?" The receptionist asked a nurse.

     "Did you try calling from the hospital's phone?" The nurse asked her.

     "Oh no!" The receptionist replied and immediately dialled Hafsah's phone through the hospital's line.

     Hafsah heard her phone ringing and groaned. "Please tell Zayden to stop calling me."

     Sameerah looked at the caller ID and it wasn't Zayden so she immediately picked up and put the phone on speaker.

     "Hello? Is this miss Hafsah?" The receptionist asked. Sameerah glanced at Hafsah and she nodded.

     "Yes, this is Hafsah. How may I help you?" Sameerah asked.

     "Do you perhaps know Mr Zayden Ubaid?" The receptionist asked.

     "Yes I do. What's wrong?" Sameerah asked.

     "He's at the ICU in ABUTH, please you are needed here." Hafsah felt her chest tighten, like her heart was being ripped out. She didn't even bother to wear a hijab or cover her hair at all, she rushed out of the house with Sameerah and got into the first keke they found.