Chapter 21

The wedding preparations were moving in full swing and the house was choked up with helpers and relatives. Decorations were put up everywhere and the furniture in the house were also changed. It was the day that Haneed's family would officially ask for Hafsah's hand in marriage. Sameerah helped her to get dressed in a beautiful red satin chiffon designer saree. It wasn't even the day of her wedding yet but she was glowing. Haneed's parents and two elders from their family arrived at Hafsah's home. Her parents welcomed them and ushered them in.

     Alhaji Zayyad, Haneed's uncle, cleared his throat. "Today, we have come to make our intention known to you Alhaji." he started. Hafsah's father nodded and he continued. "Our Son Haneed will like to marry your daughter Hafsah. He has met her on several occasions and with what he said about her, we know we wouldn't find a better match for our son." he finished. Hafsah's father nodded.

     "I have listened to everything you have said, however I do not have the right to say yes or no. It's Hafsah's decision to make." he replied. Haneed's family nodded in understanding.

     "Can you please call Hafsah down here for us to ask her in person?" Alhaji Zayyad asked. Hafsah's father nodded.

     "Aisha? Please bring Hafsah down here." he told their helper. She nodded and rushed up the stairs to Hafsah's room.

     "Hafsah, your in-laws want to see you." Aisha smiled at her and Hafsah breathed in nervously. "

     "Calm down, they won't eat you." Sameerah told her and helped her get up. Slowly, they walked down the stairs to the living room.

     "Assalamu alaikum." Hafsah greeted with her head bowed.

     "Wa alaikum mu salam." they answered in unison.

     "Please sit." Alhaji Zayyad said. Hafsah sat down and hung her head low, her cheeks heating up.

     "Do you know Haneed?" he asked her. She nodded her head and he continued.

     "We have come here on Haneed's behalf to ask for your hand. Will you marry our son?" Hafsah blushed furiously and nodded her head. "I will." she  said shyly.

     "Toh shikenan. Everything is finalized!" Alhaji Zayyad smiled and they all laughed.

     "Where's Haneed?" Hafsah asked, fiddling with her saree.

     "Ohhh? You aren't even married yet and you're already asking of him." Haneed's mum teased. Hafsah's cheeks flushed and she ran upstairs.

     "Come down Hafsah. I was kidding." she shouted and they all burst out laughing.

     Hafsah closed her room door behind her and plopped on the bed. Sameerah had a mischievous smirk playing on her lips.

     "You knew all this while didn't you?" Hafsah groaned, throwing a pillow at her.

     "What? Didn't you know they needed your consent too?" Sameerah asked, laughing at her.

     "Of course not. It's not like I've been married before." Hafsah sighed. "And they're probably still laughing at me in the living room." she finished, burying her face in her palms.

     "Awww, don't be such a baby."

     Downstairs, gifts which consisted of kolanuts, bags of salt, sweets etc were given to Hafsah's family. Since Hafsah had agreed to the marriage, they would start the bargain of the dowry which was known as gaisuwais. Gaisuwais was a kind of formal approval from the bride's family to the groom's. That was where the bargain for the bride's dowry began.

     Usually, the bride price started from a minimum amount known as 'Rubu Dinar' in Hausa, an Arabic phrase which meant 'quarter kilogram of gold piece', to the highest amount the groom could afford to pay. It was most preferred for the bride price to be as low as possible, because according to Islamic teachings, the lesser the amount paid as the bride's dowry, the more blessings that will come to the marriage. So, Hafsah's family demanded for a low dowry which would be given as sadaki.

     After paying the dowry, the proceeded the next step– sarana. It was a process of setting the date for the marriage. They agreed on a date and everything was finalized. Hafsah's family escorted them to the door after they all ate lunch. It was official, Hafsah and Haneed were getting married in a week.

     Sameerah grabbed Hafsah's keys from the nightstand and pulled her outside.

     "Where are we going to?" Hafsah asked her. "To the salon duh!" Sameerah replied and shoved her into the passenger's seat. Hafsah groaned and smacked Sameerah on her head. "Ow girl!" Sameerah yelped. Hafsah ignored her and Sameerah drove them to a very expensive salon.

     "Good afternoon ma'am." the receptionist greeted.

     "Afternoon to you too." Sameerah smiled and Hafsah just gave the woman a nod.

     "How may I help you?" she asked.

     "This lady here is getting married in a week and I want her skin glowing. She's here for spa and makeup." Sameerah said and the receptionist dialled a number. Moments later, a lady came down and led Sameerah and Hafsah upstairs to a room where Hafsah was made to take a milk bath.

     The milk would give her skin a glowing effect and soften it that when you touch her, you'd think it was a newborn. Sameerah on the other hand was receiving a massage as she waited for Hafsah to come out of the bath. When she came out, she was taken to another bathroom where she washed off the milk from her body.

     It was her kunshi(bridal shower) the next day so she had to look extraordinarily beautiful. When she came out of the bathroom, Sameerah's face broke into a wide grin. "Girl, you look so beautiful." Sameerah said and pulled her into a hug.

     "Thank you." Hafsah replied and laid down for her massage. When she was done, she got her hair done and Sameerah drove them to a house to collect the supplies for the bridal shower.