• twenty

and in the end,
we were all just humans.
drunk on the idea that love,
only love,
could heal our brokenness

Even James was surprised to find himself heading towards the Headmaster's office at 7 a

Even James was surprised to find himself heading towards the Headmaster's office at 7 a.m. that Monday morning. He always saw Dumbledore as a figure of protection and guidance rather than an authority, so he had never felt nervous or intimidated the previous occasions he had visited this office, all due to the consequences of his rule breaking,

But he hadn't broken any rules just yet and Dumbledore was not expecting him, and the messy haired boy was sure the Headmaster was certainly not expecting the conversation James wanted to have. But over the course of the night he had figured that if anyone was to solve his doubts and give him peace of mind, it was Dumbledore. He felt slightly anxious as he made his way through the considerably empty corridors, a feeling that didn't cease when he found himself in the moving stairs that led him right outside the Headmaster's office door. It was a moment of truth that he preferred didn't have to wait any longer.

"Ah, Mr. Potter!" James was greeted by Professor Slughorn, who opened the office's door for him. "I was just on my way out. I assume you're here to have a word with the Headmaster?" Slughorn inquired, apparently unaware of  James' desperation to walk past him and into the room once and for all. "Yes, sir." He nodded politely, plastering a fake smile.

"Come on in, Mr. Potter." Dumbledore's voice came from somewhere inside the room. James nodded politely at Slughorn once again, stepping aside so the Professor could walk out before entering the room. "Glad to see you're awake so early. Eager to begin your classes, I assume?" Dumbledore stood on the left side of the room, putting away what James believed to be a pensieve.

"Of course, sir." James gave Dumbledore his most charming smile, always pleased to be around the wise old man. "But I didn't come here to talk to you about my morning routine, sir." His smile changed to a sheepish one, making Dumbledore chuckle as he observed the spectacle-using boy.

"Well, of course. To what do I owe the pleasure?" Dumbledore sat behind his desk, motioning James to take a seat as well.

"Sir," James said hesitantly, his previous confidence faltering. "I'm here to ask you about children who were conceived under the use of a love potion."

As bizarre as the question was, Dumbledore nodded in understanding, remaining so calm it was almost as if he had been expecting James to ask the question for some time now, much to James' surprise. "Merope Gaunt was an uneducated woman."

James frowned confused, not understanding what Alexis' mother's level of education had to do with anything, but before he could question the statement Dumbledore proceeded. "When a child is conceived under the use of Amortentia, the consequences can be dreadful. I'm sure by now Professor Slughorn has taught you that it is the most powerful love potion in existence." James nodded, watching Dumbledore stand up and walk around the room. "Everyone, the Riddle children included, is under the impression that simply because the potion that Merope used on Tom was successfully administered for such a long period of time, that it must have been quite a strong concoction. But Amortentia is a N.E.W.T. level potion."