Chapter 40 - Kaelin - Twenty Questions

When Liam pulled away from embracing Kaelin, she expected for him to show distaste or curiosity over her hybrid form, but he showed neither. Instead, he placed his hands on her face and gave her a kiss, which surprised her and took her breath away. After breaking apart, he stared into eyes with as much love as she'd seen from him when she was human. It warmed her heart to know that he could love her no matter what form she took.

Finally, his eyes did a sweep up and down her body. "I didn't know you could transform like this."

"Yes," Kaelin said, ready to explain.

However, she was interrupted by her brother. "This is a form we take, when necessary, to be able to battle on land and at sea."

"Cool," Liam nodded. He turned his attention back to Kaelin. "Are you okay? Where are the others? And what the hell is that thing?" He pointed at the wall.

"I am fine." Kaelin brushed her clawed fingertips gently across his forehead to push his brown hair back. "And the others, including Arlen, are on the other side of that—a wall of ice and magic to keep them busy until help can arrive."

"Help?" Liam asked. "From who?"

"From our father." Kaelin had to swallow a lump in her throat, just thinking about it. She hadn't wanted to call out to him, but there really was no other choice, as Calder stated before they crafted the wall. They needed help, and there was no one else to call. "It will take a few hours for him to come, if he gets the message. If he even decides to come."

"Why wouldn't he?" The question came from Cynthia (judging by the sleepwear under her clear plastic poncho, Kaelin wondered if she had been in bed). She stood nearby, examining Kaelin and her siblings, a slight fascination in her eyes. Perhaps because of her work with marine life. "Surely any parent would come if their child was in danger."

"I'm not the best of daughters." Kaelin said.

"Parents love their children no matter what they do. It's unconditional. It's biological."

"We have a different biology." Kaelin reminded her. "We don't experience emotions the same as humans."

Cynthia crossed her arms and turned the eyes to the ground, remains silent.

Amaya stepped forward and laid a hand on Kaelin's shoulder. "Our father and Kaelin have a difficult relationship. They are both steadfast in their opinions, and neither bends easily. This has led to much friction over the centuries."

"Centuries?" Cynthia's head snapped up, her eyes bugged out. "How old are you?"

"Mom!" Liam snapped, clearly outraged. "Don't be rude."

"I'm just curious." Cynthia held up her hands, defensively.

"I am nearly a four hundred years old." Kaelin said. "But our people don't age like yours. Changes happen slowly, over many decades for us. In our world, I am barely out of adolescence."

"This is amazing." Cynthia walked over to examine Kaelin's face more closely. "I can't believe you really exist." She made a small sound that could have been a chuckle, Kaelin was unsure. But Cynthia seemed pleased at the discovery, not terrified, which was nice.

The gruff sound of someone clearing their throat interrupted them. It turned out to be Grandfather. "This is all mighty interesting, ladies, but I think we ought to make a plan for when that wall comes down. 'Cause magic or not, ice ain't gonna last long when the sun comes up in a few hours."

He made a good point.

Calder walked over to stand by Grandfather. "I agree with the old human."

Grandfather clapped him on the back, which seemed to startle Calder at first. "Who're you calling old, son?" Grandfather asked. "I bet your ten times my age."

Calder cracked a smile. It wasn't large and it didn't last long, but it was real. "Twenty times would probably be more accurate."

Grandfather shook his head mystified. "Don't that just beat all." He rubbed a hand across his stubbly jaw.

Liam slapped his hands together. "Grandfather, focus."

The old man chuckled. "Sorry, sport. It's just a lot to take in. Even when you believe in 'em, they're something else to behold up close, in person."

Liam looked at Kaelin and smiled. "I know what you mean."

"Guys," Gretchen said. "We can't just stand around here getting soaked. Maybe we should take this back to your place. Then we can decide what to do there."

No one had any other suggestion, so they agreed this was the best plan.

"How are we supposed to get back there, though?" Andy asked. "We left the cars at the marina when we got the boat. It's like ten miles back to Grandfather's. And I doubt we could sail all the way around the island in this storm."

"Then we'll go somewhere else." Liam said. "Somewhere closer."

"Where?" Cynthia asked.

"The boardwalk is only a mile down the road." Gretchen suggested.

"Everything there will be closed by now." Jesse said, throwing a wrench into that plan.

"Everything except The Old Shack." Grandfather looked down at his watch. "They'll be open for a good hour or so."

"Then let us be on our way." Calder said.

"Okay," Liam jumped in front of Kaelin's brother when he started to walk away. "But maybe we should find you guys some clothes so you can change completely. I mean, you guys are kinda conspicuous like that." He swept his hand toward Calder. "No offense."

Kaelin understood. He was right. If they were about to go to a populated area they needed to look the part.