Chapter 44 - Liam - The Best Thing to Do

Liam was roused from unconsciousness by an explosive boom of thunder that shook the entire bar.  His heart leapt from fear. The glass bottles of liquor on the shelves that lined the wall behind the bar rattled against each other. A bottle of Jack Daniels, which was precariously perched on the edge of the counter, fell over; the container and its contents crashed and spread out across the warped floorboards.

"What happened?" Liam asked. He was stretched out on the seat of a leather booth. He bolted upright, which was a mistake, because his wet skin had stuck to the leather. His entire back was left feeling the burning sting. He was sure it had taken off the whole top layer of skin.

The wood building groaned ominously against the stress of the wind outside. Liam looked up at the old iron chandeliers that swung back and forth. The building had survived a number of hurricanes, but Liam didn't know if it could stand up against the force of a supernatural storm created by the magic of mythical creatures.

Mrs. Bainbridge sat beside Liam and placed a gentle hand on his knee. Her face was soft but there was a tightness around her mouth, which she was forcing into a smile.

Liam searched the faces around him as the moments before he blacked out came back to him. Kaelin had done something to him to knock him unconscious. He jumped to his feet, his heart racing. "Where did they go?"

Everyone looked to the door. A flash of white light shined through glass, making Liam squint. He turned away from the door and looked around at his family and friends. "How could you let them go?"

Grandfather stepped up to Liam and took hold of his shoulders. "This is their fight, sport. As much it kills me to say it, we have to let them do this on their own. We're just not equipped to deal with things like this."

"We're only human." his mother added.

Molly walked over with a glass of water. "I thought you might be thirsty." She placed it on the table in front of him.

He sank down onto the booth seat and pulled the glass close to him. Even though he didn't feel like drinking it, his mouth was a bit dry, so he took a sip. "Thanks," he said, without bothering to look up. He heard her shoes clicking on the floor as she walked away.

Gretchen sat down beside him and laid a hand over his. "We all want to help them. Believe me. But there's just nothing we can do. We have to have faith that they'll be okay. You've seen what Kaelin can do, she's strong."

Liam nodded. He knew better than anyone around him how powerful Kaelin was, he'd seen it so many times over the last few weeks.

Still, as much as he believed in her and as capable as he knew she was, he didn't feel right about just sitting around waiting for her to come back. He wanted to be doing something—anything—that would ensure her safety.

Then, he remembered what she said to him, that she wouldn't be able to concentrate on beating Arlen if she had to worry about his safety the whole time. So, even though it tore him up inside, he had to admit that maybe his mom, and Gretchen, and Grandfather were right. Maybe the best thing he could do for her was to listen to what she said and let her do this on her own.