9. Family dinner.

POV Alexander.

Dayanara was constantly on my mind while I was running home. I arrived at my parents' house and shifted back before putting on my clothes.

The smell of lasagna filled my nostrils as I walked in. "Hey mom." I smiled when I found my mom in the kitchen.

"Hello, hermoso." She grinned as I kissed her cheek. "Dinner is ready, everyone else is already at the table."

I helped her carry the food out and then took a seat. I greeted my father and my older sister, Valentina. Her mate, Alpha Nolan Martinez, wasn't there because he had pack business.

"Mom! Lucy hid my phone!" Diego yelled while running down the stairs.

"Mommy told me to because it's dinner time!" She screamed as she ran into the dining room. "Xander!" She jumped on my lap.

"Hey." I smiled.  "Diego sit down, you'll get your phone back after dinner."

During dinner everyone talked, catching up. "Xander, something wrong?" My father asked, everyone turned their attention to me.

"Actually, well it's not wrong." I smiled. "I found my mate."

"Finally!" My mom and Valentina started squealing. They have been waiting for me to find her since I first shifted. Which was at age fourteen. Normal wolves shift at sixteen, Betas at fifteen and Alphas at fourteen.

"What does she look like?!" Tina asked.

"What is her origin?" Dad asked.

"Is she smart?" Mom asked while Tina asked when they could meet her.

"Woah woah! One by one." I chuckled. "She's got big brownish eyes and curly hair. I love doing nothing with her. She is really smart but also a bit dorky. Like, once she used a deodorant bottle as microphone when she was belting out Play that funky music from Wild Cherries."

"I like that song." My brother commented.

"She claims to be badass but she is way too sentimental. I love pushing her buttons because then she gets a bit mad and it's adorable. She is so precious. Oh and she is Puerto Rican and Italian." I sighed. "I think I love her more than I even understand."

"You love her?! When did you even meet her?" Mom exclaimed.

"The day I went to the human school." I replied and then winced because Tina smacked me.

"Why are you only telling us now?!" She yelled.

"It slipped my mind!" I exclaimed.

"Or were you, occupied?" Valentina wriggled her eyebrows.

"No, I wasn't." I rolled my eyes. "She doesn't even know that I'm her mate."

"Is she human?" Diego questioned.

"No, she is the daughter of the Alpha and Luna of the Blood Moon pack." I sighed. "But because of some circumstances, she can't shift." My mother's eyes widened slightly but the action didn't go unnoticed.

"Define, circumstances." My father raised an eyebrow.

"Domestic violence." I whispered.

"Diego, take Lucy and go play upstairs." My mom said. After they left, we all sat at one corner of the table. "Talk."

"She has an abusive step uncle." I answered. "But we agreed that she'll move in with me. Once she turned eighteen, which is in a week."

"Alright, it's gonna be okay." Mom assured.

~~~

I was watching Brave with Lucy when I got a phone call. "Alpha Kingston." I answered.

"Alpha, your mate got kicked out again." The lady informed and then I realized I didn't even know her name.

"Alright, thank you for calling." I said before hanging up the phone. "Lucy, baby, I gotta go."

"Bye, Lexi!" She hugged me and I chuckled to myself. I went outside and shifted before running to my mate.

When I got there, I changed back and put on my clothes. "Let's go." I said, startling her. She stood up and we walked to the woods. Once we arrived at my home, I went to take a quick shower.

"Can I lay on the couch?" Dayanara's shy voice asked.

"Sure, do whatever you want." I went into the bathroom.

POV Dayanara.

I took off my shoes and placed them by the door. Then I laid on the couch in my short sleeved shirt and tight jeans. I just laid there with my eyes closed and one hand behind my head.

I heard the shower turn off and the door opened. I glanced at Alexander, who wore black sweats and a white shirt. He turned on the television before walking towards me, so I quickly closed my eyes again.

I felt his presence hovering me before he laid down as well. He laid with his back against the backrest and his head leaned on my shoulder. One of his arms was draped over my stomach after he put a blanket over us.

Automatically, I wrapped my right arm around his shoulder and carefully, almost cautiously, I ran my fingers through his hair. He sighed and closed his eyes, I felt his long eyelashes tickle the side of my neck.

"Are you okay?" I asked.

"Kind of." He mumbled, his breath fanning my neck.

"I was hoping for a 'yes, definitely!' or something like that." I replied.

"Nope, I'm still a bit mad." He answered. "But it's already better because you're here, in my arms, safe and sound."

"Take a nap." I whispered to him.

"Gladly." He agreed. He wrapped his arm a little tighter around my stomach, as if I could slip away any moment.

After three hours, Alexander was still asleep but I was feeling restless. I dozed off for about half an hour but that's it. I detached his arm from me and slowly got up.

"Where are you going?" His voice asked before I even reached the door.

"I can't sleep so I wanted to go for a walk." I answered.

"We'll go for a drive." He said and got up as well. I put my shoes on before following him downstairs.

We got in his Range Rover and I leaned my head against the window. Alexander just drove to the highway. I enjoyed all the pretty lights: headlights, backlights and even the lights in the tunnels.

POV Alexander.

I smiled to myself when I noticed that Dayanara had fallen asleep. I got off the highway and drove us home. I parked the car and got out.

I carried her upstairs and then laid her in my bed before taking off her shoes. I took mine off as well and got in bed as well. I made myself comfortable under the duvet, laying on my back.

Suddenly, Dayanara turned to face me. A frown was clear on her sleeping face. I rubbed my thumb between her eyebrows to make the frown disappear.

She leaned into my touch and I pulled away. The frown reappeared and I chuckled. She inched closer while laying on her side, she sneakily placed her arm on my abs.

When I didn't do anything to stop her, Dayanara came closer to me. She laid her head on my shoulder and I wrapped my arm around her back. She let out a small sigh. I did the same, feeling satisfied because I was snuggling my mate.